Author Topic: A tale of two servos...  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MaltaeronTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
A tale of two servos...
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
I couldn't think of an easy title.

I have two hitec HS-322HD servos. However, when I was trying to modify one for continuous rotation, I broke its circuit board. I ended up just ripping out all the electronics and now it is a two wire gearbox motor that works nicely. The other servo is unmodified and fine in and of itself. My question now, considering I want to use these two motors for two robot wheels, is whether I should just drive them differently (one with pwm, one with pwm for speed and an h-bridge), or strip down the good one and use h-bridges for both, or buy a new unmolested one and use it with the good one, leaving the DC "servo" for some other use.

I would rather not pay for another servo, but I also don't want to fall into any traps and I don't know much about all this robotics/electronics stuff. The only thing I feel sure of now is that it would be horrendous trying to get the servos working together properly if they were being driven by different mechanisms.

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: A tale of two servos...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:48:17 AM »
Hi,

Consider the broken servo a learning expense and get a new one.
The broken servo will come in handy in some other project, or perhaps for something in your current build.

At least...  Now you know what not to do  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: A tale of two servos...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:38:13 AM »
Yep, what Søren said.

data_list