go away spammer

Author Topic: I2C in Linux -> AVR  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
I2C in Linux -> AVR
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
Hello gang! I've been gone for a long time, but I've been hard at work on a robotics project (more on that one day down the road). I'm stuck at this one part though and my research seems to be bringing me into circles.

I am using a TS-7800 Embedded Arm9 board running Debian Linux, trying to talk to an on-board AVR micro controller that is acting as an ADC. I am having trouble getting the I2C interface to work on it - does anyone here have knowledge of using I2C in Linux in conjunction with an AVR micro controller?

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
Re: I2C in Linux -> AVR
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
I have no direct work with I2C with Linux but I do develop embedded systems in Linux (Montavista)...

How are you doing right now? Still having problems? What errors are you getting? What kernel version are you running?

First make sure you have I2C built in the kernel or compiled as a module. View the .config file for your kernel and you should find something like this:
#
# I2C support
#
CONFIG_I2C=y
# CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV is not set

that just means you have I2C in your kernel.

When you verify you have I2C in your kernel and it still doesn't work maybe its time to debug deeper :) (bring out an oscilloscope / logic analyzer and tap your communication lines to the AVR).

Regards
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Get Your Ad Here