go away spammer

Author Topic: First 32-bit platforms that are compatible with existing Arduino hardware & Soft  (Read 1513 times)

Offline DUKELancelotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
chipKIT for the Arduino™ Community

Application development using an environment based on the original Arduino™ IDE modified to support PIC32 that also still supports the original Arduino™ line. Leverages existing code examples, tutorials and resources

Pin-out compatibility with many existing Arduino™ shields that can operate at 3.3
Lower price-point at four times the performance than existing solutions

Advanced capabilities including:
Integrated USB (Device/Host, OTG)
Integrated Ethernet
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2095&param=en553910

Microchip® PIC32 32-bit MIPS processor (PIC32MX320F128)
    Compatible with existing Arduino™ code examples, reference materials and other resources
    Arduino™ "Uno" form factor
    Compatible with Arduino™ shields
    42 available I/O
    $26.95

Microchip® PIC32 32-bit MIPS processor (PIC32MX795F512)
    Provides additional memory and advanced communications peripherals
    Compatible with existing Arduino™ code examples, reference materials and other resources
    Arduino™ "Mega" form factor
    Compatible with Arduino™ shields
    83 available I/O
    $49.50

Available for sale at http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?NavPath=2,892&Cat=18
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:35:23 PM by DUKELancelot »
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline GrooveHolmes

• Helpful? 0
Interesting...

I'm curious as to how they use Arduino code on a totally different architecture.
The difference between the student and the master, is that the master knows what he does not know.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Hi,

I'm curious as to how they use Arduino code on a totally different architecture.
Microchip made the boards (probably seeing a vast pond to fish in), so has made them to comply - no big deal.

I'd assume them to get into trouble with inline assembler (if that can be used in Arduinos) and I'm fairly certain that it's only the C code that's compatible - you have to use a special IDE for the ChipKit and I guess that's where the "magic" takes place. And that's not different from recompiling C code between eg. PC's, Apples and *nix'

Seems a bit like a hostile takeover, where Microchip draws on Arduino's success and large code base - but perhaps it will make the Arduino more accepted in the pro world.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list