go away spammer

Author Topic: playing Half-Life with real guns  (Read 2889 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
playing Half-Life with real guns
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:52:05 AM »
The beginning is kinda lame but . . . basically they used three accelerometers on a big board to triangulate gun shots, then passing that data to the Half-Life video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZCS-coZjY

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: playing Half-Life with real guns
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
That is pretty cool.  I am wondering though, the board is consumable so if they shot in the thing too many times then the bullets may not register.  They would just travel through previous shots.  I think this would be a TON of fun with airsoft.  you could rig up a mechanism for reloading to occur when you actually reload.  Then a again you may be able to just put in an unlimited ammo code if one exists.  I'm also wondering how the thing interfaces with half life.  In all the PC shooters I played the way you aim is to move the entire screen, because your gun points to the center all the time.  They shot stuff not in the center of the screen.  It would be really cool to use head tracking in combination with this to have the screen display based on where you look.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »
hah, who would've thought you could do that :P
sonic, on the matter of all fps games always aiming at the center, what about if they took the co-ordinates from the center and moved the in-game sights accordingly?
like if you shot 50cm N-E of the center, the game would scale it down and move the sights to that location then shoot? not too sure if it would work... but they could try...
Howdy

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
I need a lab assistant like Anita.

Get Your Ad Here