go away spammer

Author Topic: I'm new here, and building a robot (designing stage)!  (Read 3540 times)

Offline MadMaxTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
I'm new here, and building a robot (designing stage)!
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:53:09 PM »
Hello fellow-robotics,

My story (skip this if you want ;))
the story was really strange. All of the sudden, totally obsessed by walking robots, I got in attack mode and started hunting for quadrupeds and hexapods on youtube. I was amazed by the complexity of the robots. I'm a C++ coder for several years now and always had the urge to code something not 'on a computer', a robot, walking on it's own.

Yadda-yadda-yadda. I watched a video, and it ended with: "www.societyofrobots.com". Offcourse I checked the site out, watched some tutorials and registered. I had a chat with my father (yup, I'm still a youngster) and he is a great robotics programmer too :D... Or at least, was. 10 years ago...

But (thankgod) he still had some microprocessors laying around (PIC16F84), various resistors, batteries, a "PICSTART plus" and other components. So I plugged some basic stuff into a prototyping board. Took the serial cable out of the box and went hunting for a serial port... Yeah, right. Apparently, my newly-bought, kickass computer doesn't have a COM-port. So much for the 'kickass' part ;).
Quickly we got one of our old computers out of the box, installed Win98, the new MPLAB and: "Your firmware is out of date" ... Lol, my dad's PICSTART plus has revision number 4 ;).

So: My dad and I want to start programming, he bought the picstart upgrade. And I'm waiting for it ;)

My robot

I'm busy purchasing 12 servos (I need some feedback. Hitec HS-311? Any good? (small time bot, maybe 30cm * 20cm total, including legs) and because my dad still runs a company officially (he stopped it 8 years ago), I can order components at farnell! I asked for some samples from microchip, they're on their way. And I'm on my way building a quadruped! It might seem too advanced for a beginner (okay, maybe it is too advanced for a beginner), but hey... I got my dad to help me out, and can program pretty well in both C++ and C.

So, I got all designing crazy and started designing ;) .

Please note: Maybe I used some functions in the leg schematics that I'm unable to use, such as 'Servo2Degrees' and stuff, but when I get to learn how to use a servo, I'll figure out a workaround ;).

It's flash, so you can zoom in and out

The moral: Hello guys! :D

-Max Henger
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:26:10 PM by MadMax »

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
Re: I'm new here, and building a robot (designing stage)!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:39:35 PM »
Hello fellow-robotics,

Ahh, the first line you type and already you made a mistake  ;)
No worries though, who gives a fecies?

The moral: Hello MadMax! :D
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline MadMaxTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:39:03 PM »
hahaha, sorry. I'm from Holland, so my english grammar isn't what it's supposed to be. I assume you're from Belgium?

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:49:33 AM »
You assumed right! :D I'm flemish by the way so we can speak dutch :P

Veel succes met je robot MadMax, als je vragen hebt ben je hier op de juiste plaats.
translation:
Good luck with your robot MadMax, you've come to the right place if you have questions
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline Ai-bot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
Hi MadMax

I recommend Hitec 475....
They are not too expensive, they cost about $15
They have some decent torque and speed for the price you pay.
They are fine for smaller biped robot.

Good luck with your project

Get Your Ad Here

data_list