Author Topic: robot code error  (Read 6380 times)

Offline nafaiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
robot code error
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »
Hello,

I am a newbie here and trying to compile the code for the 50$ robot.  i follow all the instructions in the tutorial but when i try to compile i get this error..

Photovore_v1.c:108: fatal error: opening dependency file .dep/Photovore_v1.o.d: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Photovore_v1.o] Error 1
Build failed with 1 errors and 0 warnings...

i dont know what this means at all.  Many thanks to anyone who can help me  ;D

Offline silent069

• Helpful? 0
Re: robot code error
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
my first recommendation would be to go back and make sure that u followed Admin's instructions exactly. It looks to me that u may have named something wrong, or pointed to an incorrect file. What i did was make a new folder on my desktop called Robot.   From here go into avrstudio4 and when it asks you to point to a folder to save the project, make it save inside the robot folder. in this case. C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\Desktop\Robot\*photovore_v1*    when u point to the robot folder it will make a new one inside called photovore_v1 and than continue on with admins instructions on how to program and u shouldnt have any problems.

This is just what i would try. i wouldnt quote me on it. 

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:16 AM »
nope, i tried that a couple different times in lots of different folders and i always get the same message.  I just dont know what else could be going wrong.  ???

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
allright, im now at the point where the only thing left to do is program.  Im using the ATmega168 instead of the atmega8.  I made the necesary change to the make file and everything, but i still get the same message, please help.  :-\

thank you! ;D

Post edit: not sure if it matters but i am running AVR under vista 64 bit
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:56:56 PM by nafai »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »
allright, just so i don't have multiple threads going at the same time, I'm going to ask for help on another problem I'm having.  Namely, when i plug in the AVR mkII programmer and try to connect to the microcontroller, i get the "no target was detected. Ensure target has power" message.  I'm sure all my connections are functional.  I checked all the pins with a voltmeter, the ATmega168 is getting its 5 volts of power and i got the programmer pins all wired up.  =/ this is really kind of frustrating for me because Ive basically come to a standstill now.  is it possible my microcontroler is fried?

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »
Hey nafai,

Check out this post where I run through some troubleshooting steps.  These are the very steps I took to get my first board working.  Don't give up.  Double and triple check your connections.  Check for cold solder joints, etc.

Unfortunately, every time I've thought it was a bad component...well...it turned out to be a loose nut on the keyboard (that's me).

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
i saw this in the liscence agreement when i was re-installing avrstudio in the hope it would help. 

"AVR Studio runs under Microsoft Windows 98, Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP 64 and Windows Vista (usb support for 32 bit only)."

but it doesent say anything like that when i am using the mkII programer.  I have vista 64 bit, could the problem i am having programing my chip be caused by the fact that the program is not interfacing correctly with the mkII programer?

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
is it a usb programmer? the issue is not related to the programming stage, but anyway ::)
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
yes it is a usb programmer.  its the avrisp mkII programer

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 08:46:20 AM »
It really looks like you didn't properly name your files/folders. I'd recommend just starting the software over from scratch and trying again.

As for the programmer . . . are you sure you got all the wires in the right spot? What color does the programmer LED have?

Offline Penth

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:59 AM »
Photovore_v1.c:108: fatal error: opening dependency file .dep/Photovore_v1.o.d: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I am having this error currently on my Vista64 machine. Maybe its the lack of sleep but how can it create a folder named .dep ? I'm using all of Admin's source/instructions to a T so I am a bit confused. I'm installing it all on my xp32 machine to see if there is a difference.

I changed the makefile from .dep to just dep, created a dep folder, then rebuilt and everything seems fine. My parts won't come in for awhile so its off exploring the Dallas area for fun and unique hobby shops.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:20:09 AM by Penth »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure you missed a step, and didn't label your files/folders properly. :P

Offline Penth

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
I tore throw it on two different computers. One just hung up on me, the Vista64 box was not having the .dep folder.  Everything went fine once I changed the makefile to dep.

I also bought all the hs311 from some hobby store who also stocks some of the tiny hitech servos, bunch of plastic and metal gear feather motors.

Offline MadMax

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
something is going wrong while linking. Make sure all the necessary files are included (do you need somekind of linker object?)
For example, MPLAB requires the user to include the linker object himself.

Offline Stragen

• Helpful? 0
Re: robot code error VISTA 64
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »
Actually, I've been getting the same error on my Vista 64 machine as well. I'm going to try the "dep" vs. ".dep" for dependency file, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Despite what Adman says, I think that three different Vista 64 users complaining about the same error despite having followed the instructions to the letter any number of thousands of times just hoping something will be different the next time might signify a real issue.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Offline Stragen

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
I tried Penth's method of find/replace of ".dep" to "dep" in the makefile, plus the creation of a "dep" subfolder in the project folder. It would have worked, were it not for the fact that AVR Studio randomly crashes on this machine. In any case, the "dep" folder now has some dependency files, whereas before there was nothing.

Perhaps it is jumping to conclusions, but I believe this software does not agree with Windows Vista 64-bit.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
Stragen you make a good point, and I think its an AVR Studio bug.

I did a *quick* google search and found this:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=64605

Also, considered contacting Atmel?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list