Author Topic: force sensitive resistor  (Read 4126 times)

Offline TrumpkinTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
force sensitive resistor
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Looky what I found! http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Force-Sensitive-Resistor-FSR/ I certainly never thought that could be done with such simple materials. does anybody have Ideas of what you could use it for?
Robots are awesome!

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: force sensitive resistor
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »
Now that's pretty cool.  It would be very easy to use something like that inside a gripper.

I seem to remember seeing something similar made with window screen.  Can't remember what the middle conductor material was.  They put it on a punching bag or something like that.  I'm going to have to look that up to see if I can find it.

Edit:  I found it, and it's virtually identical to what you posted.  Wonder where you can get large sheets of that foam...hmm...

Another Edit:  Wow, 10+ pages of conductive foam in the Google shopping section.  This inter-web thing never ceases to amaze me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:18:47 PM by krich »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=6242 pretty cheap stuff, I wonder what thickness is the best.
Robots are awesome!

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »
Well, I gather the thickness would simply define the resistance at rest vs. resistance while compressed.  (similar to a photocell)

So, (all theoretical numbers here), a FSR with 1" thick foam might have an "at rest" resistance of 100M Ohm and a "compressed" resistance of 1MOhm, while a FSR with 1/8" thick foam might have an "at rest" resistance of 100k ohm and a compressed resistance of 1000 ohms.

This is truly groundbreaking for me.  I bet I could build myself a nice little pressure pad for my Halloween display.  I just need to find myself a rather large and thin sheet of that foam.

Any ideas on a conductive adhesive?  They say in the instructable you find that the adhesive can interfere with the conduction between the foam and the copper board.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »
Robots are awesome!

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
I wonder how varying thicknesses of the conductive adhesive would affect the accuracy of the sensor.  I found some conductive double sided adhesive sheets, but they're super expensive.  Will keep looking.

I'm definitely putting this sensor on my build list.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
This is actually an old idea - I first saw this like 10 years ago ;D

IC's and other electronics often come with that conductive foam as part of the packaging. I always keep some around just in case.

To maximize the signal, follow the schematic and equation as if it was a photoresistor:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/schematics_photoresistor.shtml

(but instead of light intensity, its foam compression %)

You may have a problem with sensor hysteresis though . . . google that for more info ;)

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »
Oh, hysteresis, like when I burned my hand real good with the soldering iron, or when my daughter's kitten jumped on my face in the middle of the night?   :D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
no, thats hysteria ;D

(and perhaps a hysterectomy for the cat)

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »
The cat got a smack-terectomy.   >:(

Seriously though...

I can see how the foam would not perform consistently.  Each compression would change the characteristics of the foam and thus the sensor itself.  I'm good with that.  If I need something more reliable (like for grippers), I'll just shell out the bucks for a commercial FSR.

Get Your Ad Here