go away spammer

Author Topic: I want to know how to make these things  (Read 10261 times)

Offline Gryffindor90Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
I want to know how to make these things
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:50:54 AM »
Hi how are you  ;D
well i read all the turtiols in the home page but i don't want to make like that one i want to make a real one
i mean like human, can walk, talk and things like that
so if you know how to make like that one please tell me
and if it's step by step and by photo it will be good
and i want to know how can i program it after i finish , i have this program PICAXE Programming Editor
and this also BASIC Stamp Editor v2.3
please help me, and i want to make everything by my hand cause it's project for school and if i succeeded i will tell them about your wonderful site
thank you
mohd

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
Re: I want to know how to make these things
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
How old are you? (Couse you sadi i went to school) If you are new in robots i strongly suggest you dont start out with a programeble, walking robot. But if you really want it i think it will take some time. I will try to help u get started!
1: Chassi: You need to make the robots body, something covering the whole robot so you cant see any of the eltric parts. If you dont have acces to much material you can allways make it out of wood. Saw it and make it fit, then screw it together.
You can allways google walking robot or something to get a turtorial on how to set up the 2 motors/servos to each leg. I know one way but maybe its not the best: Use a gearbox: Like one of these (the picture underneeth), then find a ways to bend each pin sticking out of the sides and attach the "thing" you want the robot to walk on (Like axample a brick) So when one of the "feets" is up the other one is touching the ground, then it will walk forward or backward depends on the power you add. Then it will maybe be able to walk to, if you only add power to one of the motors you can see on the picture. Im not sure, if never really tested this but i came over the idea some day.
You can buy one of the gearboxes at: http://www.pololu.com/products/tamiya/0061/ for around 10$
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:46:22 AM by sotu »
How to build a biped bot:

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »
Beginners always come to these forums wanting to build amazing humanoid robots for their first project, but i don't really think it is possible.

I advise you to start with a smaller project like a photovore or something. This way, you will know if robotics is going to be a one off thing. or maybe a lifetime hobby, before you spend serious cash.

Harry
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
you have to kiss it. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
hi

sotu
thank you for the info. and  i will search about the gear box and if you know anything about ciurcuts and if you can give me your mail

hazzer123 / ed1380
thank you for your saying and i am not stupid as you
and you will see my robot, when i finish it i'll put it here to show you
see ya stupid
Gryffindor90

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »
www.popolu.com is a great page for robotic projects, also eletrician. So if you want a programeble robot check the link on pololu called: Electronics. And if your using the walking tehciqe i told you earlyer you must be sure off the electri card can program motors not only servos. And you need a program on your computer so you can program them (I dont know if you get them in the package) And a USB kabel! Keep on posting, i'll be glad to see how your working. But when do you have to have this school project done? Couse if your serious about this and its a short time you better start purchasing. To have the pieces is one part but the put them together is a whole other thing! Couse you do want to program the movements, not using mikes, sensors and that?

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
Ill look forward to seeing it then :D
www.icrobotics.co.uk

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »
hey thank you for replying quickly
the site opened but the whole page in chinese and i don't know chinese  ;D so if you have another one put it here plz, and for the programming i have only the program but on friday i will go to dragon mall it is like china town, there is many things cheap
so i hope that you will put everythings i must purchase to do what i told you
and if you can give me your mail, it will be better
--------------------------
hazzer123
Helpful Beginner  ::) i don't think so
see ya
Gryffindor90

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:09:31 PM »
ed1380
Supreme Robot

and you calling me stupid?  ::)

the thing it, that what I said is the truth. even head robot builder here that works for the navy says so.

I'd like to see what you make. and kits don't count

reality- you are a total NOOB that doesn't know shit. you HAVE to have some experiance before you can build a biped. (I bet he probably doesn't even know what a biped is), and since you're asking for help you don't have any.

I'm sorry for being rude, but this is realily, not the sheltered place your mommy has provided you.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:56:48 PM by ed1380 »
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
heh......good luck

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »
Im so sry Gryffindor90 i posted the wrong link:P I wrote it so fast i dident check it. Its www.pololu.com not popolu.com..:P
My E-mail: "at:[email protected]" Dont missuse it
If you see any cheap motors on the dragon mall you could purchase it. If you dont use it on this robot you may need it later, couse i promise you robotic is really interesting. Check out my first robot: www.tunliweb.no/sotu.htm (When you have entered the page, go to the link called sotu pictures or videos to see it) Its a kind of a battlebot with a wepon in front of it. Anyway i may be able to draw a 3dimensional drawing to you of what you may build as your project. Any how i would strongly reccomend downloading this porgram from google: (download it here): http://sketchup.google.com/download.html Its a easy to use program and great for robot planing. Im using it myself to draw my plans of my robots. Right now im working on my second radio controlled robot for the 2007 robot contest, here on this page. I will post pictures here and on my web page. Well back to what to purchase. If you buying a software so you can program your robot i wont be able to help you so much further from there and it would be very difficult but i would try. Im better at Radio Controlled robot (R/C) most at wired (wires from the controll to the robot, not by antenna) Keep on holding me posted! If you dont have a VERY slow computer it shouldent take so long time to download the google sketchup 3D program, so you can start on modelling what you plan. Anyway the picture i posted last post, look for that on the mall and also be looking out for motors and you should also buy a 9V battery !BUT ONLY IF YOUR CHOOSING TO MAKE A RADIO CONTROLLED! or else you should check out the microcontroller you buying (The actual "card" your transmitting the info from the data to the robot via USB) and see how much voltage it needs to drive. Underneeth its pictures of what i have told you to buy (Remember the different between R/C and programeble so you dont use money for nothing)
I came over this a little later, looks afordeble and easy to use: http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0126/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:59:48 PM by sotu »

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:28:19 PM »
Hmmm im not sure how these motors will help him/her? They have no absolute position feedback.

If you are going to make a humanoid you'll most probably be using servos. Check out www.hitecrd.com and www.servocity.com.

Since you want ur robot to be walking and talking... all the processing will have to be done on a remote computer. I recommend using a PIC18 to control servos. It would receive instructions from your computer on where to move the servos. The MCU would also handle sensors. The communication between the robot and the computer could be done down the RS232 USART on the PIC.

And before, i wasn't calling you stupid. I was giving you some sound advice. So dont start being disrespectful.
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:04:30 PM »
I'm fairly certain that this is a multi-million dollar project being researched by some of the top companies and universities around the world, good luck pouring a couple million into your project!
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »
Have a look at Parallax toddler, don't know if anyone mentioned this before, it the basic walking bot you can have...
But walking bots require lots of experience and time for you to built. I've been doing robotics since forteen and now I'm seventeen... seen many micros like the AVR and the PIC (especially the BS2 which is the best for me to start because parallax has exellent online support), but all of them had them to work with differencial "tank like - using treads" drive and still feel like knowing nothing...
Try out the basic photovore and object detection programms on simple bots first... Walking bots require complex movement routines and it can be a pain in the a$$...

Respectfully,
Lefteris, Greece
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 04:06:35 AM »
Hi how are you  ;D
ok guys
TrickyNekro
thank you very much, i will listen to what you say.
do you want to know why i am doing this
because i want a project that i can get from it 100% in the school
so if you have some turtiols in photovore and object detection programms i hope that you will put it here

sotu
thank you for the info. but if you know about these things photovore and object detection programms i hope that you will put it here. and please add me > my mail [email protected] ( it's just a mail)

thanks for all who care
see ya
Gryffindor90

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 04:31:22 AM »
Hi how are you  ;D
ok guys
TrickyNekro
thank you very much, i will listen to what you say.
do you want to know why i am doing this
because i want a project that i can get from it 100% in the school
so if you have some turtiols in photovore and object detection programms i hope that you will put it here

sotu
thank you for the info. but if you know about these things photovore and object detection programms i hope that you will put it here. and please add me > my mail [email protected] ( it's just a mail)

thanks for all who care
see ya
Gryffindor90

depends what grade and what class. I brought the $50 robot in for an english project (10th grade) and got 100% with flying colors.
if you're in 12th and this is for robotics class, then it might be harder, especially is the robot you turned in, is behind the class.

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 06:08:23 AM »
So you do know a little about robotics after all. If you need help with programs to program your robot dont ask me, im sure im not the best on that on this great forum. Anyway, i was thinking about making my own walking robot (i got inspired) As soon as im done with the contest robot. This is a little sketch of the legs (2 ideas, both seems reasonable.)
(The motor is going the be inside the robot, i just drew it like that so you could see it)

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »
How ure doing with ure robot?

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 03:45:10 PM »
Hey Gryffindor,

Just wanted to add my two cents. There's some real talent on this forum, and for you to come in and say stuff like 'I am smarter than you' and 'For all those who care' isn't really what this forum is about. I think you have to keep in mind that people post on here because they want to help. I mean, advice in any form, so long as it is free, is valuable. Not really my job to moderate, but i'm guessing that people who have got past the sort of "$50 robot tutorial" stage of things should be sounding thier big horn.

You started off with the intention of building a humanoid robot. You then ask for schematics etc of photovore code. Two entirely different kettles of fish. As Hazzer says, it is a common thing to aim for the stars, but you've got to build the rocket first.

"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
it is a common thing to aim for the stars, but you've got to build the rocket first.
thats so awesome

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 04:43:16 AM »
Have u guys started on the SoR 2007 contest robot? Sry for posting this here but doesn't look like the owner of the topic is responding anymore. So back to the contest robot, i need a software for my computer so i can program my robot, anybody know aout a cheap and good software?

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 05:42:16 AM »
Look sotu, yet again you have hijaked someone elses post.

Make a new post saying something along the lines of 'Contest entry software problem' filed under the software part of the forum. Not under mechanics and construction therefore.

Plus, as an engineer, you need to be more detailed. For instance, when you say 'I need a piece of software', I could say 'Microsoft word'. This would be the piece you are looking for? Thought not.

Think before posting.
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
I know im not suppose to post my own topics in someone others. But the last topic i started, i have had 1 replie and not a very usefull one either. And not to be rude but if you dont help you can spare your time. And i have found a new forum at Pololu.com thats far more helpfull at the exact things i need help for, maybe because its only 1 expert responding. But if you really want to help you can answar me on this:
I have found a free program used to program robots (Writing codes and transfer them by USB to a USB serial adapter) on this page: http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

I have read about it on there page (its a file) And they write a lot about how to download it and set it up to then transfer it to one of there microcontrollers with a built on USB to serial adapter. But they doesn't say if the program works for any other microcontroller, eks: http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0207/ (with a USB to serial adapter) You guys think it will work on that also or is the program designed for the Parallax microcontrollers?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »
hey guys
thanks for your help
i am now collecting things for 50$ robot
i think i will finish it soon
see ya
gryffindor90

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 11:43:02 AM »
Good luck with the $50 robot.

the board you make with it is more powerful than you think.  get the atmega168 as it has more memory, but otherwise is the same.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_atmega168_swapout.shtml

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »
hey
thanks for that info.
i will make it
if you can add me to your msn plz
my mail
[email protected]
thanks again

gryffindor90

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »
Its good you started out making something other then a humanoid robot as your first!
Did u buy anything at the "china town" place?

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »
Hi, I'm back after being off the forums for awhile.

I stumbled upon this topic and it brought up a memory.

I entered the National Robotics Competition a few years ago and I'm proud to say I got 1st place out of 7.  I was in a group called robotic construction, whcih you were given a 10'x10' square and had to perform some action in that square. 

Some people created table top robots, sword fighting robots, industrial robots, robot vaccume, etc. 

One college team created a biped, failry large biped at that, similar to your idea.

I created a tiny robot with simple motors, pyroelectric sensor, touch sensor, IRPD, plastic, and lots and lots of hot glue.  My robot barely functioned, but it did enough to pull away with first place.  I was able to explain WHY it didn't work and came away with first place.  ( It came down to the lighting and the incredible IR traffic in the room.  Along with a few programming flaws.)  It avoided obstacles and found people in trashed up places.

All I'm trying to say is some robots, though others may look cooler or be more technical, can prove to be more than another.  I'd be amazed if you could get a simple obstacle avoidance robot moving at incredible rates still efficiently moving around objects, more so than a humanoid robot.  It's a thought.

Sorry about timing.  =P   
Have been busy with school and work, but I'm back. 
Got my entrance into CMU pretty nicely made.  Got a 30 on ACTs  :D 

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 04:34:31 AM »
Gryffindor90,

building a humanoid robot is relatively expensive. I say that because I have already built one. You will need at least $1000. High torque servos(40kg.cm) cost about $80 each and you need at least 12 of them. You need a good battery, and the one I own costed me $50. Because the number of servos is very large, the PWM and/or digital I/O from the microcontroller won`t be enough and you will not get the desirable control, so I sugest you buying a serial servo controller(connect it with the microcontroller serial) and it costs $100. Of course you will need a controller, I used H8/3052 and it costs $78. Thats for an autonomous humanoid. You can substitute the microcontroller and the servocontroler for a R/C reciever but, I dont think R/C machines are robots at all.
Also you have to build the frame, and for that you have to cut either metal or plastic ( I used acryl translucent plastic), and for that you will need some expensive machines like cutters and drills(I used the ones available in my university, after all it was a university project and that is why I was able to afford it).
There is another small detail. I am living in Japan now, and here humanoids are already usual stuff. There are even stores specialized in selling parts for humanoids. If I went back to Russia or US or Europe or wherever, I have no doubt that this kind of robot will cost 50% more.
You can build a humanoid using cheap servos and so on but it will barely walk.

I am busy until the weekend but I may post pictures of my CREATURE later (I dont have my storange HD right now).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:36:09 AM by Tsukubadaisei »
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »
Yeh u do that, but follow up the posts he's not making it anyway, he's starting on the 50$ project (Gooood choice ;D)

Get Your Ad Here