go away spammer

Author Topic: Hello everyone at Society of Robots!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline cyberneticdreamsTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • A robot enthusiast looking for others
Hello everyone at Society of Robots!
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
Hi, I'm Sara! But in the forums you'll know me as cyberneticdreams. As a robot enthusiast it is about time that I joined an online forum specifically for those with similar interests. As for forum discussions I'd probably gravitate to topics on robots in pop-culture/entertainment or on robot ethics. I guess I'm more interested in the sociological and ethical situations robots could be put or found in, whether in the real world or in literature, TV and film. 

I'm not building robots now, but I'm learning some robotics terminology and history, just to understand robotics better.

I chose my username after a blog I write. Cybernetic Dreams is my online robot diary about my thoughts, feelings, and experiences about what I read or watch about robots, androids and cyborgs. Once in a while I update it on what's happening in my life.

But enough about me for now...

To break the ice, I'd like to know: What's your favorite robot in entertainment or the real world? Or your favorite robot movie?

Offline gtabasso

• Helpful? 0
Re: Hello everyone at Society of Robots!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
Did you read Android Karenina?
Gina Tabasso
HGR Industrial Surplus

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »
Hi Gina,

No, I haven't read Android Karenina. I looked it up a little bit. I'm actually more inclined to read robot stories where someone has a robot friend like in the movies Big Hero 6 or The Iron Giant  ;D. I tend to get quite emotional about those types of stories :'(, but I love them. There's a story that I recently learned about it's existence, called The Runaway Robot written by Lester Del Rey. I found out for that one, I'd need a box of tissues too. I would like to read that one sometime, even though some might call it a children's book, but I want to read it to know the story. I guess I'm a sucker for "robot friend" stories...

But thanks for asking about Android Karenina. I didn't know that book was around and now I know. :) I noticed you liked Lost in Space and The Jetsons in the other topic. Are any of those robots your favorite?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:04:26 AM by cyberneticdreams »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
 :) Hello!  :)
I thought I would respond to your insights in the robotic world.
My favorite robot, of course, is Data, on Star Trek's Next Generation.(surprised?)
The science fiction on the interaction of Data with the Crew of the Enterprise is one that
always intrigues me, and has given me lots of entertainment.
Robotics in movies like Chappie, Silent Running, Elysium, Forbidden Planet, and Star Wars provide
different perspectives on how robotics are used in different situations.
Real world robotics, of course, will be different, but indispensable. Technology can provide greater
resources for more people.(human work being converted into tech work/studies). In this exchange,
robotics offers great hope in resource management, where only impossibilities existed before.
Have not heard of Android Karenina, but will look into it. Thanks!!  ;) :) :D ;D

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »
Hi Mklrobo,

I really like your reply! So your favorite is Data! That's awesome...any episode he's in is fascinating to watch what he does and how he communicates. Glad to hear he's your favorite.

I remember watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with my Dad when I was little (so this was back in the early 1990s). It was when I watched this show that I learned the word "android," and then "humanoid."

And CHAPPiE! OMG I love Chappie. For a long while I,Robot was my favorite robot film but now CHAPPiE is pretty much tying with it now. To list, my top 3 are I,Robot, CHAPPiE and Big Hero 6.  If someone asked me what is a movie I can't stop thinking about, it would be CHAPPiE. It's unlike any other robot movie I've ever seen. I may have empathized too much with Chappie (but I'm actually an empath, that's probably why). His robotic design is… it's very unusual, but the character is captivating to watch because of how he deals with his consciousness and experiences. Though, I should see Elysium in its entirety too... just because of the robots (I'm so bad!).

Mklrobo, do you have a favorite Data-centered episode of Star Trek: TNG? I haven't seen all episodes, but I've seen "Brothers", "The Offspring" and "Inheritance" on BBCA all within the last several months, so let's see what happens… ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:58:48 PM by cyberneticdreams »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
Hi cyberneticdreams,  :)

I appreciate your insight into the spirit of robotics. That spirit has directed my nature in personal and
professional context. Some of my best friends, I built!(joke from Will Robinson- Lost in Space
The Chappie movie was a whole new class of robot(and theory), that I do not think society has really had time to digest what is the importance of the movie, except for Robot buffs. I like the realness of the movie.
One episode of Star Trek: Next Gen that is close to my heart is "The Offspring". Truly, at the end, I can not
help but collapsing into grief for Data.  :'(  The power of the writers become very evident in Star Trek.
I, robot and Big Hero 6 are awesome robot movies too!  There is a lot of potential and fun in robotics, never the less!  ;) ;D

Offline gtabasso

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
Hi Gina,

No, I haven't read Android Karenina. I looked it up a little bit. I'm actually more inclined to read robot stories where someone has a robot friend like in the movies Big Hero 6 or The Iron Giant  ;D. I tend to get quite emotional about those types of stories :'(, but I love them. There's a story that I recently learned about it's existence, called The Runaway Robot written by Lester Del Rey. I found out for that one, I'd need a box of tissues too. I would like to read that one sometime, even though some might call it a children's book, but I want to read it to know the story. I guess I'm a sucker for "robot friend" stories...

But thanks for asking about Android Karenina. I didn't know that book was around and now I know. :) I noticed you liked Lost in Space and The Jetsons in the other topic. Are any of those robots your favorite?

Oh, you probably would love The Silver Metal Lover. That is one of my favorite books. I cry every time I read it. It's a must have. No, I don't have a favorite robot. Well, maybe Silver in The Silver Metal Lover.
Gina Tabasso
HGR Industrial Surplus

Get Your Ad Here

data_list