go away spammer

Author Topic: What would your ideal robot look like? or what should it do?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline ropolaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
What would your ideal robot look like? or what should it do?
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:48:38 AM »
Hi everyone.
I'm new in this forum and I'd like to introduce myself and suggest a thema in order to talk about it to all of you (or most of you :)

I love making robots, and all that sorrounds it (electronics, programming, artificial intelligence, mechanics, and so on... actually, I have my own CNC machine and my own 3D printer...) And I'd like to know, What would your ideal robot look like? What should it do?

According to my personal opinion, a robot should look like a robot. For instance, I find terrifying those robots who look like persons (with skin, hair and so on). Insted, I would prefer something similar to Jonny Five or BB.
On the other hand, intelligence is important but not crucial (dogs are not very intelligent, they don't speak, or can't read our emails or make our shops, but we donĀ“t minde to share our lives with them) So, I'd prefer an emotional robot that an intelligent robot...

What's your opinion?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:39:58 AM by ropola »

Offline Tommy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
Re: What would your ideal robot look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:35 PM »
What would your ideal robot look like?
ropola, to me, it's not about looks. but with that said I do find beauty in gear boxes
and bearings. to me Robots are all about function. doing what we can't or shouldn't.

Tommy 

Offline ropolaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: What would your ideal robot look like?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 05:38:28 AM »
Ok Tommy. So, what your ideal robot should do?

Offline hadiesper

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: What would your ideal robot look like? or what should it do?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
Hi ropola. I agree with you a robot should look like a robot. I think above all the robot should be functional. It's one thing to have a robot that can reply to voice commands in a controlled environment but it's a whole different concept if the robot can operate around the average non-technical person.

I am building a robot now for fun, in an advanced stage in building the prototype  and I have designed him with a specific function to engage in a basic convo, provide some useful info (similar to what current digital assistants do), and also be able to display emotion and make eye contact.

I also think that instead of making a robot that will solve complex problems like opening a fridge and grabbing a bottle, pouring a drink. Instead the whole concept of a bar or a kitchen should be redesigned around a robot. For example, a robot can take a speech command and send an automation message to a robotic bar which will mix and dispense your drink, then the robot can navigate to a specific location and grab the drink in a predefined fashion. Technically you achieve the same result but the problem becomes much simpler from a mechanical and Ai perspective.

What kind of applications are you building?

Get Your Ad Here