go away spammer

Author Topic: all i want for christmas.... easy PCBs!  (Read 4463 times)

Offline dunkTopic starter

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
all i want for christmas.... easy PCBs!
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »
http://www.pcbprototyping.com/EGX20XB.htm
so for those who don't want to click on the link, it's a PCB prototyping machine that fits on your desktop.
(or on your credit card for that matter....)

The DGX-20XB provides full 3 axis control (X/Y/Z milling), support for Gerber 247X/ 247G as well as standard drill files, and uses standard 1/8” shank bits for milling and drilling.

so i'm not realy considering getting one or anything but i'd love to know someone with one i could borrow from time to time.

out of interest, does anyone have experience getting boards made up in small numbers?
i usually use veroboard but occasionally i run into a component that has awkward pin size/spacing.
what other solutions have people found to this problem?
i have resorted to soldering lots of tiny wires on and encasing the whole component in a blob of (non conductive) glue in the past...

dunk.

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
Re: all i want for christmas.... easy PCBs!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
so i'm not realy considering getting one or anything but i'd love to know someone with one i could borrow from time to time.

I have an older LPKF model 91S, which is also a little desktop PCB mill. It works pretty well, but the LPKF version of Gerber is a little cumbersome. What I would like is one of their newer models, that uses Windows software, and cuts with a laser!

http://home.earthlink.net/~militoy/LPKF.JPG

Offline Handmixer.com

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »
I make my PCBs from scratch, I usually use a computer to do the track design, then I invert the image in microsoft paint and print it out on a LASER printer (set to darkest).* I then iron it on to some copper clad board *and then go over it with a permanent marker that I have self tested (more details shortly) then I chuck it in some etchant.

To test a pemanent marker, get a small piece of copper clad board, colour half of it in with the marker and etch the board, when it is done, rub it with some steel wool, and if the copper under the ink is mostly unscathed, you can use the pen.

This is the link for the bit of the printing method between the asterisks:
http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/authors/cutcher/

I have had consistent good results.

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:26:07 AM »
I use the ones they have in my university..... for free. :P
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »
Etching with acid is the easiest and cheapest way to make PCBs...........

but if you want a mini mill/pcb router type thing I am fairly sure you can build one yourself for over 2500$ less.

I have seen some kits/instructions for doing this but haven't done it myself. If you own a mini/micro mill you could also do it by adding stepper motors.

That 2.5k price tag is a rip........

Offline zamboniman60

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
EAGLE

Laser printer

Blank PCBs

Etchant

Drill

Get Your Ad Here