go away spammer

Author Topic: How is on board soldering done ?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline roborgTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
How is on board soldering done ?
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
Hi,

I was trying to solder few wires to a small bi-polar stepper motor with 4 pins/lead blobs. Had I bought this motor separately it would have come with wires, but in my case I plucked this from old floppy drive and it has 4 pins/solder-heads (small blobs). I wanted to solder jumper cables to these blobs so I can hook this motor to breadboard but they are so close to each other it is becoming difficult to solder wires without short circuiting them. I have been examining few boards and there I can see soldering was done pretty cleanly even when the pins are very very close. How is it done normally ? If I can't solder the wires this motor is pretty much useless to me. Please send me suggestions or easy workarounds. If you want I can post pictures of what I am talking about.

Thanks,
RO.

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: How is on board soldering done ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
If you're asking how things like floppy drives and stuff are soldered so nicely...  Well, I'm going to guess it's all soldered by machines. 

Offline roborgTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
If you're asking how things like floppy drives and stuff are soldered so nicely...  Well, I'm going to guess it's all soldered by machines. 

well some folks build custom boards/shields for their hobby projects ... how about them ?

Thanks,
RO.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
They use a solder wick.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »
Nah, it's a question of using the right tool (a fine point iron), a steady hand, just the right amount of solder and pre-tinned wire of the right gauge.

But... When you compare the motor pads to regular boards, I kinda get the idea that those pads aren't all that small after all - what size are your pads and what is the minimum distance between them?

Anything from 2mm pads with 0.5mm between them and up is quite trivial for a trained hobbyist.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
When I have wires that close, I use heat shrink to insulate everything.

See the pics here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/schematics_photoresistor.shtml

Offline kd5kfl

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
factories use wave soldering. board slides alonf a track over a pot of molten solder. solder is agitated into standing waves. like this...

wavesoldering

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »
That's cool!  I'm guessing flux is sprayed on?  Then the solder only touches the tips of the pins and flows to the coldest point (the board) thus creating a nice joint?  If so then... cool!

Chuckt

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
It sounds like you are talking about surface mount soldering.  It requires flux, fine tipped tweezers, a soldering iron with a fine pitch, an exacto knife and a magnifying device.  They suggest using a chizel soldering iron (1/32nd of an inch) because it can hold the solder and they generally want you to have a temperature controlled iron.  When it doesn't work, you need to remove the solder with solder wick.

There are youtube tutorials online and I'm still learning.

Surface Mount Soldering 101
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:45:47 PM by Chuckt »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list