Author Topic: micro controller  (Read 1336 times)

Offline hoohoohamaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
micro controller
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
I would like to know what micro controller I should use. I am only 10 years old and in 5th grade. Please tell me because I want to find a good microcontroler for beginners

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: micro controller
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Do you know any programming languages, and what is your budget limit?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »
I would like to know what micro controller I should use. I am only 10 years old and in 5th grade. Please tell me because I want to find a good microcontroler for beginners
You need to tell us for what you want the controller. Do you want to build a robot, do you just want to get to learn working with controllers, or what?

To add to what rbtying asked, are you expecting a small controller with like 8 pins, a monster with 100 pins or what?
Being only 10 years could be an advantage to learning, but it may also work against you - dabbling with controllers takes a fair amount of attention span and a neven-say-die attitude, as there will be ample setbacks on the road to mastering it.

So, tell us quite a bit more of yourself, your background in tech stuff and such.

If you have the brawn to go ahead, I'd tell you to stay clear of expensive devices like Stamp and such (µcontrollers with build in interpreters) and learn the real thing right from the start.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:35:28 AM »
hoohoohama - Take a look at the $50 robot project here on this site. It uses an AVR ATmega8 (ATmega88/168/328 also works). Everybody starts somewhere. Consider that your place to start.

Then when you've learned a bit about that microcontroller you should know if it suits your needs. You can ask us "hey can I do this with the ATmega168" and we can help. The AVR is a popular chip and there are TONS of tutorials on line about the chip.

Google search for:
AVR introduction
AVR tutorial
AVR beginner
AVR project
ATmega168
AVRfreaks

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions!

Get Your Ad Here