Author Topic: I'm new and need help!  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Jonny ATopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I'm new and need help!
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
Hi i'm new to autonomous bots and i'm looking to make a 6kg autonomous robot. this will be a slow project due to low funds plus i'm also looking to make a 6kg rc robot. what microcontroller would be best? i am planning to use a sabretooth 2x12 speed controller controlling 2x 9.6v drill motors using a 9.6v 3700mAh nimh battery. also what type of sensor would be best to use (i am looking for one in the 15cm-1.5m+ range). i also need the robot to automatically shut down after 3 minuites, how could i make it do this?

thanks for reading  :)

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: I'm new and need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Hi i'm new to autonomous bots and i'm looking to make a 6kg autonomous robot.
What do you want it to autonomously do? Is this for school or for fun? Do you want it to follow a line, avoid objects or act as a sumo bot. Anything is possible so we need to know what it is you want it to do before giving specific advice. Why do you specify 6kg? Is this for a contest of some type?

If you want to build both an autonomous bot and an RC one you can use the RC controlls to test your chassis and drive system and then very easily add the microcontroller and sensors to convert it to autonomous controll. Shutting down after 3 minutes should be very easy to implement with any microcontroller.

Conscripted

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »
i'm looking to make it so that it can push other robots about that it sees in a large arena with up to 10 other robots

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:01 AM »
Ok. So you are looking at something similar to SUMO? It would be a good idea to do some google searches to take a look at other peoples SUMO projects. That should give you some good ideas.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
thanks, getting the rc one going is my top priority so i doubt i'll have the autonoumous one going before xmas. also decided to use electronize speed controllers instead of sabertooth

Get Your Ad Here