Author Topic: Servo Motor and max applied force  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Dan__Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Servo Motor and max applied force
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
If I got a usual servo motor for about 20$ (with a tork of 98Ncm),
can I use it to lift a weight of 9 kg <= 90N,
by using a wheel with 1cm radius, and a thread on this wheel ?

According to this:
90N * 1cm = 90Ncm

it should work.

Can you aprove it please?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:39:34 PM by Dan__ »

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Servo Motor and max applied force
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:24 AM »
Servo should be able to lift what You want with a wheel of given radius :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Servo Motor and max applied force
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
IF the servo actually achieves the rated torque, then yes, you could lift that weight with that radius (technically, any weight less than that -- if you hit the weight perfectly, then you'd just achieve equilibrium against gravity, and not actual movement.)

However:

- most hobby/consumer equipment is specified optimistically, and you're unlikely to get the full rated performance under normal usage
- what's specified is often the "stall torque" which is the maximum torque possible to get out of the motor for a short duration

If you operate this servo at that amount of load for any significant amount of time (say, more than a few seconds,) you're likely to burn the servo out at some point.

If you actually want to "lift" things by, say, winding wire on a wheel (like a winch,) you're probably better off with a DC gearmotor, geared for the load in question.

Get Your Ad Here