Author Topic: Wheels for Voice Controlled Robot question  (Read 2512 times)

Offline michealcollinsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Wheels for Voice Controlled Robot question
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
Ok, all the main parts are ordered. Just need to figure out what size wheel I need to get, and if I am limited to only using wheels specially made to fit a Hitech servos horn. I dont have access to a CNC nor do I know how to use AutoCad to design custom wheels (like in the instructible).

Please check out this Instructible link and watch the vid, and just post your best estimate on what size wheel I should get and (possibly) a link to a good place I can get some that are comparable (and will fit on Hitech brand servo horns)....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Voice-Control-Robot-in-7-Minutes/

Thanks SOR!

Mike

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Wheels for Voice Controlled Robot question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
You should be able to use any roughly circular flat object... I used small screws that went though the servo horn's limbs and into undersized holes in plastic k*nex wheels for my $50-equivalent bot.  How big a wheel doesn't really matter, within reason. If it's too fast (aka too big a wheel) you just slow down the servos... As for source of screws... you do have a collection of random screws from taking apart dead electronics and toys, right? =D
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
haha I do have the screws! Ok this makes me feel better. Ok so how do I slow the servos down if needed? I have never worked with servos before...

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
haha I do have the screws! Ok this makes me feel better. Ok so how do I slow the servos down if needed? I have never worked with servos before...
By sending the servo a pulse width closer to the neutral (not rotating) pulse width.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
yeah, my basic electronics study told me that lol...my question is how that done with regard to the voice controlled robot using an Axon II microcontroller? Is it done in the AVR program?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
Yes, the pulse to the servos is generated by the software. You need to look at and understand the code for this project, then make changes to the pulse width part of the code.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
aha you know what, I think I know exactly what to look at on the code regarding pulsewidth. THANK YOU!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
My voice-controlled robot code is all open source and well commented to help you understand it. Just have a look.

You can use any wheels you want, use CD's, or buy some for ~$3 online.

Get Your Ad Here