Author Topic: beginner question  (Read 1940 times)

Offline monsieurpoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
beginner question
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
 ;D hi im new to robotics and my goalm is to control a servo with my keybord

my questions are:

is that possible?

how the heck can i do that?

what material will i need (mcu?) ?

what language should i learn?

is that easy?

are you bored to read at my question? ;D

thank you!

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Re: beginner question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:50 AM »
;D hi im new to robotics and my goalm is to control a servo with my keybord

my questions are:

is that possible?
how the heck can i do that?
what material will i need (mcu?) ?
what language should i learn?

You can do this pretty easily using a microcontroller connected via UART to either a Comm port or through USB.  Any mcu with a UART can be used, although I would recommend one with an USB connection.  For example, I use the Axon II which has multiple UARTs.  UART 1 is through the USB connection.

What language you need to learn depends on the microcontroller you choose, but many support C.  I would probably recommend an Arduino or clone since they are fairly user friendly and have low cost options.  As I said before, I use an Axon II and I'm really happy with it so far, just as easy to use but it does cost more.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline moltrex84

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
Hello,

I recommend an Axon 2, is very easy and there’s enough examples to work with. The axon 2 will be an investment if you want to keep making projects.  If you like to read and test you will find this fun as any hobby.  You don’t need to worry for low level programming with the Webbotlib … follow the tutorial. Mr.Webbot also have a designer that is an interface that generate example code with your desire combination of sensor etc …  I have not been able to test it full because I have a small problem but seem that helps a lot.

- MoltreX

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:11 AM »
Here is some code/circuit for connecting Keyboard/Mouse to an Arduino http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/ps2-keyboard-or-mouse

The code looks like it could be ported to any other AVR you wanted though with not too much trouble eg Axon.

data_list