go away spammer

Author Topic: IRON MAN FACEPLATE - Basic SERVO Help - Guidance on how to set up this project  (Read 14144 times)

Offline IRONMANTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi there

I'm new to Robotics and have a project I need to accomplish,  

I am an iron man fan and I have an iron man Helmet and would like to open the face plate.
I already have it planned out where to go and the setup to make this work. It works, I would just need to set up the motors to power it.
I just need to know how to use the servo.  I want to control it manually . Possibly 2 servos to lift up the faceplate and move it back down.
It would only require the servo to just go back and fourth 180 each way. No need to hack it or anything like that.

A simple set up with no programming needed controlling it manually but not using a massive RC controller if possible because the switch would need to be concealed in the costume somewhere for easy access.

how would I go about doing this and what parts would I need to accomplish this task?

I know this is a very noobish question but I had no luck searching for a basic set up I needed
hope someone out there can help me out.

Thank you all.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:02:25 AM by IRONMAN »

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
No programming needed:

Instead of the 50k pot, you can have a switch and a 50k ohm resistor.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Thank you for the reply

I'm really confused and dont really understand the diagram and what each indivudual labelled part is.

is there a simpler way of explaining it?  
I just need to make the servo go 180 one way and then back 180 again manually.

once again I appreciate the help so far

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Hi,

This is better suited for such a project, as it's push button controlled (one push button for each direction as it stands).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline rollingrobot

• Helpful? 0
I'm really confused and dont really understand the diagram and what each indivudual labelled part is.

I'm really surprise how people go straight into robotics without the ability to read simple schematics.
I suggest you do some research on how to read schematics if you can't identify the parts.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
you're right, fair enough
I knew I was over my head when I saw the schematics.

I'll learn what I need to learn.
thank you
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:56:23 PM by IRONMAN »

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
I'm really surprise how people go straight into robotics without the ability to read simple schematics.

Thats why places like this exist. I can understand the desire to build something thats out of your reach. I also understand the large barrier to entry for most hobbies. The answer to the question is How do I get into robotics is a strange one. Its different for each person. Most of it depends on how much work you want to do verses how much time you can dedicate to it.

I can't see the schematics as I'm at work right now and evil filters are killing them. A quick google search should help you get started in learning how to read the schematics. Sometimes it can be frustrating building that base you need to do something you want. You look at it as being so cool and your excited about the project then someone says well you have to spend the next 2 weeks learning c programing and how to read schematics. Plus soldering and a dozen other things before you can get to your project. Its a good way to kill enthusiasm. Keep at it and do not be afraid to ask questions. There is no stupid question just stupid answers....
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
I agree, however a certain level of underlying knowledge is expected in order to properly convey ideas via a limited medium such as this forum. For example: Imagine creating a video tutorial for everyone who asks "can you help me with this code here plz 4realz quick?" Sometimes telling someone to learn how to fish is the best option, if not the only one.

edit: @rollingrobot: If I remember correctly, it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't program, but thanks to some help from here that's changed hasn't it?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:36:30 PM by z.s.tar.gz »
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
thank you guys for the encouragement.

I felt really discouraged after that.
but now Knowing that person actually came in here clueless as me helps alot with confidence.  

I'm not looking to build a robot or anything like that sophisticated.  Just needed 1 servo to move manually back and fourth.

I hope I can figure it out with some searching around

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:48:52 AM by IRONMAN »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Hi,

The schematic, overlay and PCB I posted is very simple, 5 resistors, two variable (trimming) resistors, 1 capacitor, 3 diodes and a very cheap and common IC. (Plus the two push button switches or similar to make it go to one of the two positions of course).
I'm not sure how you hoped to accomplish your goal if that is really too much for you, because it cannot get any simpler. In other words... What kind of advice do you need to reach your goal?

I'm sure you could build this... Just dare (it's quite cheap anyway).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I needed a setup exactly like this. Thats what I had pictured in my mind

Servo Tester
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:03:24 AM by IRONMAN »

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=72951&cat=321
check that out. A bit expensive for my tastes, but looks to be exactly what you're talking about.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: IRON MAN FACEPLATE - Basic SERVO Help - Guidance on how to set up this proj
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:51:11 AM »
thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list