go away spammer

Author Topic: Noob needs help selecting a microcontroller  (Read 1824 times)

Offline AntonyNealTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Noob needs help selecting a microcontroller
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
I am starting a project with three friend’s to build a robot which carries out one specific task based purely on timing with no sensor input. It would need to control two DC motors, a vacuum which I assume would be powered by AC but I have not selected one yet and possibly some servos no more than three. The timing would need to be fairly accurate and the motors need enough power to. I would like to buy one which comes with a programmer and preferably one with tutorials and or clear noob friendly instructions. Me and my friends have some experience programing in c and basic if that changes anything. Also anything well under 100$ would be preferably but if that’s not possible then it’s not possible. Does anyone have ay recommendations on what I should buy? And is the Axon worth buying for my purposes or is it over kill for my project?

From what I understand from reading the microcontroller article is that all I will need to program a Augmented microcontroller will be the microcontroller, a compiler which is the software that compiles the code into a format which the microcontroller can work with and a uploader which interfaces your PC with the microcontroller is this correct? I believe this package contains the uploader and the microcontroller but not the compiler http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1302/resources. Do I need a specific compiler designed for this chip? And where does every one think I should get the software from?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:07:45 PM by AntonyNeal »

Offline praveen_khm

• Helpful? 1
    • Robot Platform
Re: Noob needs help selecting a microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:39 AM »
AVR microcontroller is always a good choice.

The timing would need to be fairly accurate and the motors need enough power to

You can use a atmega8 or atmega16 for this basic purpose and for motor controller, you need a motor driver, or a H-bridge.

SoR has nice tutorials and especially if you are using AVR, then this is a good place to learn.

Axon costs almost 100$ and Axon II more than 100$. But if you purchase one, then it is a good buy as it has almost all required features necessary for a DIY project.

Me and my friends have some experience programing in c and basic if that changes anything

Ofcourse C knowledge helps a lot.
Robot building is all about sharing and learning
-------------------------------------------
www.robotplatform.com : Beginners guide to Electronics & Robotics

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:40:42 AM »
Take a look at one of the Orangutan controllers at Pololu http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/8. I have a couple of the Baby-Orangutans ($20 each). They have built in motor drivers for two DC motors, and they're well documented. They also come with a very easy to use C/C++ library which also has good documentation. If you don't have a programmer already you can get this bundled with one: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1302. The programmer comes with a software scope you can monitor signal levels with. I've never used that part of it because it only runs on Windows, but Pololu puts out good stuff.

Joe

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice but the links you gave me are broken.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice but the links you gave me are broken.
Just remove the trailing period in the address line and reload.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Thank you

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
So from what I understand from reading the microcontroller article is that to program a Augmented micro controller I will need the microcontroller, a compiler which is the software that compiles the code into a format which the microcontroller can work with and a uploader which interfaces your PC with the microcontroller is this correct?. I believe this package contains the uploader and the microcontroller but not the compiler http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1302/resources. Do I need a specific compiler designed for this chip? And where does every one think I should get the software from?

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
Started to respond before realizing Soren had beat me to it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:33:41 AM by joe61 »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list