Author Topic: taking computer apart  (Read 5135 times)

Offline jamortTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
taking computer apart
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:28:54 AM »
my computer stopped working a couiple of weeks ago so I got a new one.... What parts are in there useful... ex i know theres stepper motors in the floppy disk and anything else you can think of... note no desoldering
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: taking computer apart
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »
why dont you want to desolder? well leds, if you can cut the leads close to the board. ummm all the jacks/ input thingys. all the connectors ribbon cable, ram you can sell if it works. transformer? voltage regs? i dont know many internal parts for pc's but without desoldering you wont get much.
Howdy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
I got about 20 feet wire... the cooling fans mine had 2... the cd drive which I think I'm gouig to try to make an external cd burner with so i can burn two at once... andthe ram is shot and basically was when it worked
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
You won't get far component wise, and all the random drives (CD, floppy, DVD, etc) also have normal brushed motors inside them too.
Generally a computer is worthless for components, you would be better off to just sell the PC parts and buy the components you need.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
yea some people will give you $20-50 or more for a broken pc so they can get parts.
Howdy

Offline MaltiK

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:08 PM »
Probably doesnt wanna desolder cuz the PC's arent RoHS compliant...

But the all the drives could be resold, or cannibalized.

The fan should be pretty strong... hovercraft?
The optical mice have infrared sensors
the case could make a good chassis
Warranty

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
Probably doesnt wanna desolder cuz the PC's arent RoHS compliant...

I don't really believe you guys, are even thinking about that shitty RoHS thing....
It's just a waste!!! Full waste.... makes rework a hell!!!! For NOTHING!!!
I go with my lead and I'm just happy.... And if it isn't a car accident, my death will be statistically
normal....

Sorry for this, but I'm just getting mad with these things!!! It's not about the environment... really....
It's about learning.... Making modding and mainly repairing difficult means more money for the starting
company.... Poor tricks and so.... aaagghhhhrr......

My love to piracy and Linux!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline MaltiK

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
Well lead doesn't only induce lead poisoning, but it is also a leading cause of cancer...
So I think the RoHS is a great idea... I don't want cancer... :/
Warranty

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
im sorta inbetween tricky and maltik on the rohs thing. if lead is the only solder i have and i need to do something i would wear gloves and not inhale the fumes but for preferance and the fact none of my local stores sell lead solder id go with rohs solder :-X for the pcb unless it was a rare of expensive part i wouldnt desolder it for the worth of a few bucks to get a brand new one.
Howdy

Offline Private Reid

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I love apples ... Yum !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 05:58:33 AM »
Is your cd drive a DVD Drive...?  If so, ill buy it off you. AUS $10

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
im sorta inbetween tricky and maltik on the rohs thing. if lead is the only solder i have and i need to do something i would wear gloves and not inhale the fumes but for preferance and the fact none of my local stores sell lead solder id go with rohs solder :-X for the pcb unless it was a rare of expensive part i wouldnt desolder it for the worth of a few bucks to get a brand new one.

In my opinion, unless you are spending 8hours/day soldering, you don't need to worry. These laws are meant for mass production, not for the hobbyist...

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
you'll be fine as long as you dont inhale the solder fumes (get a fan)
Howdy

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »
the only way to get yourself some lead in your vain when soldering is to
touch solder and then eat something....
I sleep in the same place I solder...
For more than 5 years, and I don't have any problems (note that I'm doing so gym and so...)
Solder fumes can cause asthma but with a window let a little bit open you don't really have problems....

All that time I'm searching internet, I never found lead as a cause of cancer... Instead, I heard that it does other things,
but really, not cancer....
Maybe I'm wrong.... But I have been hearing lot of "ultimate fail" things for a long time....
Take an example of these new lamps we are using.... Do they help the environment???
The answer isn't no..... IT'S FAIL!!!!
The energy wasted for their production, and the energy used by them is almost equal, not to say more, than the old bulbs.....

If they did want a good environment, then, the French would have got ahead and used cold fusion power to power things up....
We would have water cars, we would do other things........

What is really going on is a non stop consumerism that is leading to no good..... like this crisis we have.....
Lead-free solder is another part of that f@cking system, period... for the reason I described above....

They try to scare us, and manipulate us.... But it comes to a point that even the sheep is turned into a goat or wolf....
This is a lot out of electronics and robotics, but please people, for your sake try to see a little bit further....
There IS a reason is world goes around.... And I'm not a god forgiven person who sits to his darn chair and intertwine bullshits....

I hope that the other member can excuse my vocabulary, cause it's a matter of expression and not just throw curses....

Regards, Lefteris
Greece
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:47:11 PM by TrickyNekro »
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:54:43 PM »
@Jamort - If your willing to desolder youll get a TON of stuff out of it. The mobo alone has all kinds of caps, inductors, oscillators, etc. The power supply is an absolute gold mine. Most PSUs (Power Supply Units) contain a little 8 pin chip thats used to control the main power from a tiny little signal current. All kinds of goodies in there.

@ROHS
I could care less about it. Even if soldering something with 60/40 all the time could possibly even contribute to me getting cancer, if soldering doesnt do it then breathing will. Seriously. How badly do you think the air we breathe would fail the ROHS test? Im infinitely more concerned for my respiratory system driving down the road than I am with solder fumes rolling up my glasses. Besides, the fumes do not contain lead. The fumes are from the flux. Granted, flux probably isnt the best thing to be breathing in but its not gunna kill you or contribute to your death... unless you breath so much of it that you choke and drop the hot soldering iron into the pile of various explosives conveniently placed at your feet.

-EDIT-
Im interested to hear what admin has to say about ROHS seeing as how he fought his mfg to get it ROHS compliant since the first batch wasn't and said it was.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:56:17 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
get the SPDT switch that was used for 120v/220v
I also found 2 neodymium(I think) in the CD drive
also save the fans and take out the processor(it makes a pretty cool trophy or you can save it for if you want to ever build a computer)
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:26 AM »
yeah I know there is a load of components but I've only desoldered once any easier ways?

Offline householdutensils

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 01:36:51 AM »
If they did want a good environment, then, the French would have got ahead and used cold fusion power to power things up....

As far as I'm aware, no Nuclear Fusion project has been able to generate a net energy surplus. According to Wiki, the most advanced reactor experiment to date has only generated 65% of it's input energy.

As for cold fusion......well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon-catalysed_fusion#Some_problems_facing_practical_exploitation
:D
(Muon-Catalysed Fusion is the most likely candidate for cold fusion)

Anyway. The PSU can be turned into a bench top variable supply, and there are a ton of connectors that can be butchered. But honestly, why not figure out why it broke and just fix it?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
But honestly, why not figure out why it broke and just fix it?
if you can fix it do it!
Howdy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 01:47:16 AM »
something went out on the motherboard and its not really worth fixing(it was a piece of crap anyway)

Offline householdutensils

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 02:13:31 AM »
something went out on the motherboard and its not really worth fixing(it was a piece of crap anyway)

Ahhh I see, fair enough :D Mobos always a tough one, since they are the hardest bits to find for older rigs ime. I had to search for a long time to find a socket A board to fit my Duron machine, and that's only what, like 5 or 6 years old xD
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:14:45 AM by householdutensils »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 02:35:14 AM »
yeah i actually had a chance to get one last christmas but decided to get robotics parts so I guess just my luck

Get Your Ad Here

data_list