Author Topic: Im new at robotics and need HELP.  (Read 8060 times)

Offline itlnTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Im new at robotics and need HELP.
« on: September 21, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »
I have built 2 robots from kits and want to start building from scratch. But I have almost no knowledge on what parts do and how much they cost and I hate to have to do all that research. I want to talk to a real person and not just a book or web page.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:32:29 PM by itln »

• Helpful? 0
Re: Im new at robotics and need HELP.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
I know I need to do research. But I've bought 2 books and am getting nowhere. I just wish there was a free online scource that told you everything. I read plenty of sites but I never really grasp any of it. Also another factor is cash. I have read dozens of sites that say Im going to need hundreds of dollars (normally 100 to 200) and I am really tight for money lately. I can buy mabye a third of the stuff they want me to and then what do I have. Half of a robot that can roll down a hill but I have to push it first.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 04:34:04 PM »
a friend of mine built this as his first bot:
http://robotroom.com/Sandwich.html
with the sort of money you are looking at it would be a good option.
the most expensive components would be the motors.
you have to but the guy's book for instrucions but it's suposed to be a good book.
http://robotroom.com/RBFB.html

good luck!

dunk.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »
That does not look that bad but I've done a line following robot before. I'm looking to make a cheap robot then put in a microcontroler I got for free. Problem is I don't know how, where, and what I have to hook it up to. I'm afraid that even though I got a microcontroler I am going to have to buy crap loads of special parts or sensors. Kinda lacking on money.
P.S cant find any 6v MiNh batteries for this project.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:32:02 PM by itln »

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »
what kind of microcontroller do you have?
some require expensive programmers and some don't.

as for sensors, start simple. bump sensors can be made from any push switch.

dunk.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »
Need money to fund your bot? Read this . . .
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotfunding.shtml

The really nice sensors cost maybe $10-$30 . . . effective sensors cost under a dollar. Motors you can scrap from old electronics/toys. The chassis you can scrap just about anything to use - including cereal boxes and lunch containers. The most expensive part of a low cost robot is the microcontroller - and you already have that for free!

Tell us what you know already about the microcontroller you have, and we can tell you which way to go.

Just know that most robots can be built for just under $100 . . . if you work $6/hr for just two full days (8 hour work day), you can make $96 easily.  :P

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 11:20:47 AM »
I have a basic stamp 2 controller.  ;D. It allready has a programmer. Where can I get bump sensors. Id also like to have it go outside and tell me the temp in the morning. Anyone know how or what I need and how to put it all together.

Offline Handmixer.com

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:52:27 AM »
For your bumb sensors, I would advise using the miniature switches from inside a computer mouse. You can add levers to it or even a cats whisker type thing, which would just be a bit of wire that, when brushed, knocks against the switch plunger. I suggest looking at junkyards for materials and components, you can get just about everything you need, for a pittance.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list