go away spammer

Author Topic: How do I choose a motor based on this info?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline LightworkerNavenTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How do I choose a motor based on this info?
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »
OK, so I read through the info on this site on how to choose a motor, but the calculator was asking for much more than I need to know for my project.  I want to buy an AC motor that can produce around 60Lbs of force on a flywheel and can have a nice voltage range that it can work at.  I don't want it going way too fast either, but if it does and I still have enough control over it with a pot, I'll just make sure the pot doesn't deliver it too much voltage.

The main things I want to know are:

1.) What specs do I look for in a motor to figure out if it will give me enough force?
2.) What's a good place to buy a motor from that I can keep buying the same motor from when I start marketing my product and won't charge me a lot of money?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: How do I choose a motor based on this info?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
What is a "nice range of voltage"? 90-270V ?
A potentiometer, by itself, cannot control the speed of a motor, unless it's a very, very, small motor. Typically, you will use a motor controller, that will typically use PWM to make/break power connections to the motor, to regulate how much power it generates.
A pound of force makes no sense for specifying a motor. Motors generate torque. You must decide how far from the center you want that amount of force. For example, if you want 60 pounds of force one foot away from the center of the output shaft, that means you want 60 foot-pounds of torque in the motor.
Note that gearing will affect torque, as well as inversely affect the shaft speed. A typically way to get lots of torque from a small motor is to use high step-down gearing -- 300:1 is possible with a multi-step gearbox.

So, you will need to know, at a minimum:

- AC motor. What frequency of AC? What voltage range, specifically?
- What gear box you are willing to add/use.
- What RPM you want.
- How much torque you want at that RPM.

Then, you may be able to choose a motor that matches those parameters.
Once you have that, look at parameters like current and temperature, and start figuring out how to drive the motor.
- Motor controller for the kind of motor you have (AC, DC, brushless, ...)
- Input mechanism for motor controller.
- Mounts and adjustments for motor, shaft, gearbox, linkage to flywheel, etc.
- Electrical connections of the right kind for your installation.

Now, you can start worrying about what you're going to do with your flywheel. Do you need a clutch, for example?

Get Your Ad Here