Author Topic: sparkfun 434mhtz transmitter and reciever  (Read 5310 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
sparkfun 434mhtz transmitter and reciever
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »
so i got these things but i have no idea how to use them. i know nothing about transmitters but i really want to give these things a try.

[img=http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4323/dscn7186m.th.jpg]
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline kd5kfl

• Helpful? 1
Re: sparkfun 434mhtz transmitter and reciever
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
i know nothing about transmitters

obviously.

these are squarely in the middle of the 70CM amateur radio band.

the FCC is not going to call in the SWAT team to take you down over this. just thought you would want to know.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
duh... *caveman head scratch*
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
oh thanks allot!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »
ok after reading all that i still don't get it. is there any way to dumb it down?

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »
Which part that you don't get it? how to use them? or what & where to use them?
This sparkfun 434mhtz transmitter and receiver is a one way RF link to send some data for remote sensing and control. 

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
i don't really understand whats being transmitted. what input do i need to create any given output? i don't understand what part of it is 2.4 ghtz and what is 434 mhtz.  i also don't really understand what the sample code is doing and so i can't really make my own. anyone know any examples of how it's used by any chance?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:30:31 PM by blackbeard »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
i don't understand what part of it is 2.4 ghtz and what is 434 mhtz.
None!
m is milli, M is mega, G is giga and it's Hz for Hertz, so it is MHz and GHz.

Alltogether, it sounds like you have a long way to go, before you even think about touching HF circuits. Better grind your teeth on something where you have a greater chance of success.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
i don't understand what part of it is 2.4 ghtz and what is 434 mhtz.
None!
m is milli, M is mega, G is giga and it's Hz for Hertz, so it is MHz and GHz.

Alltogether, it sounds like you have a long way to go, before you even think about touching HF circuits. Better grind your teeth on something where you have a greater chance of success.

i'd rather get this working and be able to repeat it then work on something simpler yet inferior and be no closer to having a device that suits my needs. as for the notation i think you know what i meant :P

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Okay, I'll bite. What's this going to be used for? What are you trying to make?
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
Okay, I'll bite. What's this going to be used for? What are you trying to make?

it's to control an arduino powered robot. thing is i only have one arduino and the only other thing i can use is an altera de1 fpga

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:39:38 PM »
I would say buy another Arduino ;) the communications stuff is so easy on them, you can probably do it on teh FPGA but for a simple project its probably just as easy to spend $30 on another Arduino

Here is a tutorial for connecting two arduinos together.
http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=291

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
i don't really understand whats being transmitted. what input do i need to create any given output? i don't understand what part of it is 2.4 ghtz and what is 434 mhtz.  i also don't really understand what the sample code is doing and so i can't really make my own. anyone know any examples of how it's used by any chance?

My recomendation is that you re-read all 5 links that have been posted. I do not know anything about programming and yet I learned a little just by reading these links.  I will try to answer your questions as I am looking to use these boards in a project of my own and by helping you I will also learn.
What is being transmitted is simply data bits that are being sent to the transmitter. For example, if you have one Arduino board output a digital string of [001 010 011] then that is what the transmitter will transmit. That is also what the receiver should receive and send as an input to the other Arduino board.

So what ever code you want your robot to "see" is the code you should input into  your transmitter.

There is no mention of anything 2.4Ghz here. There are four (4) types of boards here that transmit on different frequencies. You need to be 100% sure which board you got as the receiver for each one has a different VCC requirement. All the transmitters though can take anything from 2-12V it seems. Other than knowing the VCC requirements, it's really not that important for you to know which freq you're using at this stage in your development. (Although others may disagree)

Which sample code are you referring to? Almost every link has a different sample code. Post the code that is confusing you and hopefully someone else can help you cause like I said, I do not know anything about programming yet. From what I read though, it seems a lot of that programming has to do with encoding the data sent as the receiver tends to pick up any signal that is close to the tuned freq which could cause your bot to do things you don't want it to.

Other little things I've picked up from the links posted that I think you should know:
- the antenna pin needs to be connected to a piece of wire that is 30cm long.
- real world range seems to be around 250ft, and not the 500ft that is listed on sparkfuns website.
- TX/ RX each need about 20/30 micro seconds to "warm up". So any data that is sent in that first 20-30 micro seconds may not be received properly.

Post up any other questions you have about these. They seem to be pretty straight forward with the only hard part being the programming if you don't know how to program  ;D

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »
I would say buy another Arduino ;) the communications stuff is so easy on them, you can probably do it on teh FPGA but for a simple project its probably just as easy to spend $30 on another Arduino

Here is a tutorial for connecting two arduinos together.
http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=291

+1 to this. From those links posted, it seems to be a LOT easier to just buy another Arduino board and use that with your transmitter than anything else.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
ok i think i found a solution to buying another arduino. i rigged up a schmidtt trigger oscillator using a 74ls14 to generate a square wave meaning my transmitter cost is reduced from about $40 to about $10. one thing i need now is a way to measure frequency with the arduino on the bot. anyone C savy that can help me with sintax?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
sorry for the double post but asside from the bump i have another question. what kind of antenna should i use for the receiver and transmitter. it seems to have a decent range without one but i imagine it would help

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
Use any piece of wire, you can find the correct length in the datasheets.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »

Other little things I've picked up from the links posted that I think you should know:
- the antenna pin needs to be connected to a piece of wire that is 30cm long.
- real world range seems to be around 250ft, and not the 500ft that is listed on sparkfuns website.
- TX/ RX each need about 20/30 micro seconds to "warm up". So any data that is sent in that first 20-30 micro seconds may not be received properly.

I guess reading is lost in some.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
oh sorry about that. the post is old and i must have forgotten about that part. anyway here's the control circuitry that i'm using for it. basically i made it so the arduino has to receive a frequency 3 times in a row within a certain range to trigger it's function. the controler works by using resistance with with the capacitor to change the frequency at which the shmidtt trigger is triggered. one button causes one frequency, the other causes another and both at the same time also cause a separate frequency. the arduino basicly uses whichever signal it recieves to either select  the left servo, right servo or both at the same time. i intend to ad reverse later but i need more protoboard scraps :P. anyone who doesn't needs a cheep RC system might want to look into this

[img=http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6069/dscn7213.th.jpg]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:11:23 AM by blackbeard »

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »
Nice! I like the way you used frequencies to encode information!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
thanks. it's allot of trial and error really. it works super well though

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
If you've time, post a schematic of your work for future reference (for you and for us).

Chelmi.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
Similar to FM, nice.

Not to thread jack, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a sequence generator coupled with the TX, and a sequence detector with the RX as a way to encode signals.
I ask this cause I still don't know how to program and this is the stuff that I'm covering in my intro to digital logic design course so I'm trying to relate what I'm learning to real world apps.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list