go away spammer

Author Topic: Single Revolution motor help  (Read 2109 times)

Offline dorfhombreTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Single Revolution motor help
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
Hi I'm a design student currently working on a project for hasbro in which we are building working rc models.  My particular design has a function that requires a part of the vehicle to rotate exactly 360 degrees in a quick whipping motion.  I have no real background in any sort of mechanical engineering and I'm having trouble finding a motor or way to program a normal motor to complete this task.  Any suggestions or advice would be great

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
Re: Single Revolution motor help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
Try an optical encoder.
-garrett

Offline nickc

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
You can buy servos that will rotate 360.  Many others can be modified to rotate 360.
Rotation speed and torque is listed in the specs. 
What size you need depends on what you are moving and how fast you want to move it.

http://www.servocity.com/html/servos___accessories.html

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
Hi,

[...] requires a part of the vehicle to rotate exactly 360 degrees in a quick whipping motion.  I have no real background in any sort of mechanical engineering and I'm having trouble finding a motor or way to program a normal motor to complete this task.
I'd think that Hasbro had the resources needed and as a student, you should always exploit the in-house options fully, but anyway...

A solenoid driving a shaft (wire or rack and pinion) would probably be the easiest way to get a 1 revolution quick movement without overshoot.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here