Author Topic: Powering 4 servos  (Read 1289 times)

Offline UstaryTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Powering 4 servos
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:40 AM »
iN MY ROBOT I WILL HAVE 4 hxt SERVOS.to power these i first thought 2 AA battery holders. But this would still only have 2 am, and ideally, each servo should get 1 i think...

Im thinking of using 4 C batterys in parallel, to make the 6V, and a lot more current, but some C batterys have up to 8am, wouldn't this fry the servos?
Any other suggestion? thank you

Offline Redcap

• Helpful? 11
Re: Powering 4 servos
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:25 AM »
Do you know the model of the servos? (the number etc after HXT)

If you do, their data sheet will give you the recommended operating voltage and Amps.
From there, we can work out your power supply needs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:48:03 AM by Redcap »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Powering 4 servos
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
Hi,

iN MY ROBOT I WILL HAVE 4 hxt SERVOS.to power these i first thought 2 AA battery holders. But this would still only have 2 am, and ideally, each servo should get 1 i think...
Please write in plain English and read it through yourself before posting.

AA cells have (around) 2 Ah (not 2 am, that's when you build your 'bot)

Im thinking of using 4 C batterys in parallel, to make the 6V, and a lot more current, but some C batterys have up to 8am, wouldn't this fry the servos?
A load like a servo isn't fed current, it sucks current and even with a 100A supply, it will still only suck what it needs (until it hit its endstops, but that's another story).

And it's still Ah (Ampere-hour), which is a capacity measure which only holds true at a 5 hour discharge - a 2Ah battery can supply much more than 2A - with eg. a 4A load, it will only hold out for maybe 20..25 minutes before it's flat.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list