Author Topic: Please Help!  (Read 3197 times)

Offline mt360Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Please Help!
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
Hello all!
I am new to the hobby/pastime/whatever and need a bit of advice.
Could anyone please help? First I need to know what sort to build, I want to make a mech-warfare style spiderbot, but not sure how much money it would cost.
Regards,
Me!  ;D
P.S. sorry for putting this in the video section, I'll include a video as well though!

RoboGames 2012: Mech Warfare
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:00:16 AM by mt360 »

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »
The cheapest possible mech is likely going to run about $1,000. That's counting 10 DOF (two for each leg, two for aiming gun/camera.) Using Arbotix Commander and a WiFi webcam, a cut-down Defender airsoft gun, laser cut plastics body and stock AX12 servos/brackets. There is no "kit" to do this; at least not yet (I know someone over at Trossen Robotics is working on one!)
Trossen also has a quadroped kit with 3DOF per leg; with all the pieces for moving and control, but no camera/gun/aiming, it runs around $950 IIRC. Add camera/guns/turret to that.

Offline mt360Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
Thanks!
I'm not planning to make one with a moveable turret, that might be a bit much, but I have most of it worked in my head, I just need to figure out the leg motion stuff.
I love the section 'how to fund for your robot' (http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotfunding.shtml)
That has helped me a lot!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list