Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Making an RC Mower -- need advice

(1/3) > >>

bbsux:
I am going to make an RC Mower - similar to the one on this site:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tnpshow/RCLM/intro.htm

except he didn't do several things....

I would want a alternator to recharge "some" of the juice I am using.  I guess it would be easiest to just cut a hole behind the motor, weld a bearing in place, and put a shaft on it with a pulley attached to the motor shaft.

He jury-rigged the wheel chair control system by making an interface board to send it signals like the joystick is still there.  I'm not sure thats reliable.  I will be using a spektrum BR6000 & dx6.  I would design my own system with controllers but I'm having trouble finding ones that will handle the amps I will be using.

I'm also having problems finding specs on motors.  I found two that look like they would be perfect.
They are off an Invacare E690a (left motor Part # 1039759)  Invacare lists the motor but gives no specs.
any ideas?

Thanks guys

nanob0t:
I do not understand this application.  It is neat, but why would you run a robot vs doing it yourself?  I would rather make it autonomous.  I guess it would make the work more fun.

With the alternator.  Instead of hacking the motor apart, maybe it would be possible to attach a pulley to the shaft of the motor right before the wheel to run the actuator.  Ripping the motor apart and installing all of that may be a bit risky to the robot, and may require routine maintence.

--- Quote from: bbsux on April 14, 2007, 06:58:50 AM ---He jury-rigged the wheel chair control system by making an interface board to send it signals like the joystick is still there.  I'm not sure thats reliable.  I will be using a spektrum BR6000 & dx6.  I would design my own system with controllers but I'm having trouble finding ones that will handle the amps I will be using.

I'm also having problems finding specs on motors.  I found two that look like they would be perfect.
They are off an Invacare E690a (left motor Part # 1039759)  Invacare lists the motor but gives no specs.
any ideas?

--- End quote ---

I am unclear on the motor stuff you are talking about, a link would be nice if you could provide it.  It may be better just to purchase the motors themself.  This way you are clear on the torque, velocity and such you require and can optimize power.  Doing this, you have all of the specs right in front of you. 

Sotu also started a thread on hooking a wireless controller up to motors.  I think that would be useful to look at.  It gives a basic explaination and may sway your thinking.  Again, I am unfamiliar with the spektrum BR6000 & dx6, a link would be nice.

With a little more information, I'm sure we can help you more. 

bbsux:
I never said I was going to hack the motor apart to install the alternator.  I said I was going to "cut a hole behind the motor, weld a bearing in place, and put a shaft on it with a pulley attached to the motor shaft."  That is obviously cutting a hole in the mower chassis NOT the motor.

Maybe you trust your "autonomous robot", but I am NOT going to trust what can be a lethal machine to a program on a chip.  I would much rather use it remote control because that has safety shutoffs in case signal is lost.

nanob0t:
I guess I did not see what you meant with the motor.  If that works, then that will work fine.  I thought you were going to drill a hole in the motor and do... whatever  ???

Well, autonomous can be as safe as you make it.  If you map out your yard on it then tell it to mow, I agree, it can be lethal.  But if you put ultrasonics, or a camera or something onboard, you can develop it to avoid something like that.  You can put a wireless kill switch on it too.  It was just a suggestion.

Well, links would still be nice.  If I can get an idea what motors you are looking at, I can probably dig something up or find something better if it comes down to it. 

bbsux:

--- Quote from: nanob0t on April 14, 2007, 05:43:37 PM ---Well, links would still be nice.  If I can get an idea what motors you are looking at, I can probably dig something up or find something better if it comes down to it. 

--- End quote ---

I gave you the model number and brand name of the motor in the first message.  If I could find out anything about them I wouldn't need to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version