go away spammer

Author Topic: crimpers from Pololu, are they good?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
crimpers from Pololu, are they good?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
I'm thinking of buying this:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1928

Anyone have any issues with it?

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Re: crimpers from Pololu, are they good?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
I was looking at the same ones.  Let me know if you try them out, I've been looking for a good pair myself.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this:
[snip link]
Anyone have any issues with it?
I haven't tried that one, but if shipping wasn't that expensive (to DK), I'd order one right away, as I couldn't find a ratcheted crimper for the small stuff locally and so had to buy a crappy one that really need 3..4 hands to use. $35 is fairly cheap, at least compared to Danish prices, where similar ratcheted crimpers is around $50 or more.

It seems that it makes real B-crimps (some call it D-crimps), which is way better than those that just make a round-ish crimp and it looks pretty close to several other crimpers I have (for modular, coax, isolated spade lugs (red, blue and yellow "car terminals"), non-isolated spade lugs etc - if only they could sell one crimper and then the jaws, which is detachable anyway, that you need - these things are heavy and bulky).

Buy it, try it and if you absolutely hate it after a month or so, sell it to me  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:08 PM »
I actually just got that crimper a day or two ago - it works fine for 2.54mm (.1") female crimp pins (I haven't tested the other sizes), and, as Soeren says, make B-crimps.  If there's anything you want me to test out on it, just ask - it's my first crimper, so I don't have a good point of reference. 

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
rbtying, what specific crimp pins are you using?

(the type I have/use don't quite match the type in the pics on the pololu site)

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »
I'm using these, but they look fairly normal - the ones I used last summer in a research lab looked the same. 

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »
Slightly 'off-subject' but since I do a lot of 'making-up' and then 'breaking down' to test different stuff with WebbotLib then I've resorted to using the Pololu made up cables as it avoids me needing a crimper. Definitely been a good investment. Got some female-female and some male-male which also allows me to do female-male.
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/65
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
I've resorted to using the Pololu made up cables as it avoids me needing a crimper. Definitely been a good investment.

Seconded. I've got various sizes both at home and work. Worth the money.

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
I have a set of the pre-made cables myself as well, but I'm still looking for a good set of crimpers for custom made cables for certain applications.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
I'm cheap and use pliers to crimp my pins... usually I then solder the connection, too.  I'm using premade male-male connectors, but made my own female-female connectors.  Someone should probably convert me to crimpers so my robots don't crash and burn some day :)
I

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
I'm cheap and use pliers to crimp my pins... usually I then solder the connection, too.  I'm using premade male-male connectors, but made my own female-female connectors.
I used to do that years ago. But the connections took a lot of time and effort, and were often flaky and break over time. Crimpers take seconds to use and create good secure professional connections. Give a pair of crimpers a try, and you'll be a convert in minutes I promise.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
update . . .

A friend of mine has this guy:
http://www.servocity.com/html/pin_crimpers.html

It's $20. I tried it out and it works just as well as my professional pair at work. You can't change out the crimper hole sizes, in case if that is a problem for you. It's also left-handed (your left hand squeezes while your right hand holds the wire in). I'm too used to right-handed crimpers that it felt very awkward. The handle isn't so ergonomic either (an issue if you crimp often). I give it a 7 out of 10, ie quality crimpers for someone on a serious budget.

I think I'll take a chance on the $35 Pololu crimpers as it's right handed, has an ergonomic handle, and the crimp holes can be swapped out (which also lets me change handedness).

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
Keep us posted - for $35 I'd be happy if they work. Previous devices mentioned elsewhere on the forum have been mega-bucks.

Wonder if various suppliers would like to donate free sample crimpers for an independent review by Admin!!  What he says goes and could boost their sales?
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
In terms of achieving a full secure crimp, these were the worst crimpers I've ever used. :-X

I definitely do not recommend buying the Pololu crimpers. I'm going to see if Pololu does returns . . .

edit: see attached image . . . compare the two crimped wires and guess which one was done with the Pololu crimpers :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:37:16 PM by Admin »

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:00 AM »
Aw man bummer!

I bet you had some choice words when you figured out they were terrible after this whole thread.   ;)

Offline Daanii

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
edit: see attached image . . . compare the two crimped wires and guess which one was done with the Pololu crimpers :P

The one on the left, right?

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
an update . . . I partially take back what I said before.

I've been playing around with it some more. It turns out that, unlike my professional pair of crimpers, the Pololu crimpers doesn't self-align correctly. So I've been playing with it, and if I closely eyeball it and place the pin in just the right spot carefully, I can somewhat get an acceptable crimp. (see attached)

That said, it still doesn't squeeze the wire enough for the pin to fit inside a housing. By using a pair of pliers, I can then squeeze it enough to finally fit.

It takes me about ~7 seconds to crimp a wire with my professional pair. Near perfect reliability.
It takes me about ~16 seconds to crimp a wire with the Pololu pair. Acceptable crimp reliability.
(this is important if you had to crimp large numbers of wires)

I guess this comes down to 'you get what you pay for' in terms of quality. It's definitely better than not having any crimpers at all. So for it's price, I'd say it's acceptable.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
I guess this comes down to 'you get what you pay for' in terms of quality. It's definitely better than not having any crimpers at all. So for it's price, I'd say it's acceptable.

I've actually been happy with mine. I may not be using the same pins/connectors you are though. I mostly use it for .1 pins, or molex pins.

Joe

Get Your Ad Here

data_list