go away spammer

Author Topic: Sumo Robots. Are you allowed to be like Dick Dastardly?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Hal9000Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Sumo Robots. Are you allowed to be like Dick Dastardly?
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
I was just wondering, on reading an article about a sumo robot this morning about a robot that detected the line around the edge of the sumo (which is white) and then backed off when it did this. In one of the finals it came against a white robot and couln't go anywhere near the other robot!

Surely a good way of winning sumo therefore is to have some foam to absorb ultrasonic signals (although i'm not quite sure how well this would work), Infra red signals shooting absolutley everywhere, and painting your robot white....maybe even trying to scoop up under the other robot to forcibly make it read your whiteness! What about pointy objects that come out of the robot? I remember seeing a sumo robot that used feelers to detect the other robot and maybe even helped to 'channel' the other robot in to that it couldn't move anywhere but forwards or backwards.

What you you all think ? (Especially those who have competed. Admin?)#

I'm guessing the competition has become quite advanced!
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Sumo Robots. Are you allowed to be like Dick Dastardly?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
On a sumo bot that I had made, there was a front plate angled at about the 45 degree. I made sure that mine was as flush and close to the ground as possible so that when my bot headbutted another bot, mine would go under it and that seemed to give my robot a strength advantage because now some of the weight from the enemy bot was now aiding in my bots traction making there bot lighter so there wheels lost traction before mine did. I was undefeated =D
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
This is an awesome methodology
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
Speed, agility, and loads of traction...

http://www.huv.com/miniSumo/seeker2

- Jon

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »
I think strength and traction are all you really need...

If you can just brickwall the other bot and not let it move you at all then your good. If you can push another bot around like it was weightless then your good...

Thats my opinion anyway...
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 02:46:39 AM »
My question was whether sneaky electronic techniques like I talked about would work.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list