Author Topic: max471 current sense IC  (Read 8151 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
max471 current sense IC
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
As replacement components for two circuits I designed and built, I am looking to buy more DIP MAX471CPA current sense IC's. Digikey no longer has them in stock. Anyone know where I can find some?

Unfortunately, they seem to be a discontinued product:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1108

They have 'replacement' versions, but none of them are in a DIP package.  :'(

Assuming I cannot get a replacement with the same pinout . . . anyone know of any other current sense IC's with a DIP package?

I found this available at Digikey:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2171.pdf
but unfortunately it is also discontinued, with 'replacement' versions that also wont work . . .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:36:37 PM by Admin »

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
Re: max471 current sense IC
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:06:51 PM »
H&R Enterprises lists on their inventory search page that they have 7683 of them in stock. They're a parts "headhunter" firm, that specializes in obsolete parts - so expect to pay a premium for anything you get from them. I'll try to ask my power supply IC "guru" if he knows of any pin-for-pin equivs in an 8-Dip package, If I can get in touch with him before the New Year.

http://www.hrent.com/inv.htm

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 03:16:05 PM »
Yea I found that on findchips.com after I made this post. I sent a request, hopefully I get lucky. They had originally cost $6.20 each, so Im willing to pay around that . . .

If not a pin for pin (worse case), at least an 8 pin DIP that does the same thing.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
just got this email from Maxim:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Maxim Integrated Products. As of now, there is no replacement for MAX471 in DIP package.

Regards,

Cust Apps Engineer"

:(

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »
That isn't unusual for MAX parts - they do tend to make a lot of parts that are Sole-Source items. Still - I wouldn't give up quite yet. Maxim isn't necessarily likely to let you know if one of their competitors offers a similar product in the same package.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
hmmmm so the http://www.hrent.com/inv.htm site never replied back to my RFQ. Anyone know how long it takes? I sent it on Dec 28th . . .

Forced to switch to surface mount, I guess . . . I spoke with my friend, and he said he was going to mail me some hand-etched SOIC to DIP adaptors . . . I have never successfully soldered a surface mount because of shaky hands  :( . . .

Theres a lesson in this: its always cheaper to buy extra IC's . . .

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »
I've ised the little Surfboard and Surf-Kit adapters from time-to-time, and they work OK. One warning, if you're not used to soldering to surface-mount parts: Keep your iron tip temperature below 600 degrees, or you will damage many parts.

Get Your Ad Here