Author Topic: advice on motors and gearboxs  (Read 1766 times)

Offline diverdanTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
advice on motors and gearboxs
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:02 AM »
I am new to working with motors and gearboxes. I need to build a system that rotates one rotation an hour.  However would be good to have some control on speed. The motor will be powering a mount to rotate a camera for motion control.

You can see an example I did here.  GoPro underwater time-laps & motion control rotating head.
This was done with an egg timer, But i want more torque, and be able to carry a bigger camera.
Any advise would be great. I live in the Uk. Where can I buy the good to get the goods?

Dan

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
Re: advice on motors and gearboxs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »
I'd say go for a stepper motor , can fit your torque requirements and speed control.
Sorry i dont know about any online stores for that, as i get all my stuff from the local electronics market.. :(
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
Hi,

I am new to working with motors and gearboxes. I need to build a system that rotates one rotation an hour.  However would be good to have some control on speed. The motor will be powering a mount to rotate a camera for motion control.
A DC motor followed by worm gears would be my choice.

Something like 3 sets of "worm plus 50 teeth wheel" would fit a motor going slightly over 2,000 RPM (for 1 RPH).
This motor can be driven by a PWM regulator (simple) or, if you want to be able to time it precisely, by a small microcontroller (but then you would need to program the controller and buy or make the hardware to do that).

This was done with an egg timer, But i want more torque, and be able to carry a bigger camera.
Any advise would be great. I live in the Uk. Where can I buy the good to get the goods?
With a gearing like 50^3 = 125,000 even the smallest DC motor will have ample torque to handle even the largest cam you can find (and then some).

I am quite fond of Greenweld
Unfortunately, I cannot see any motors except their wireless drill motor (good quality, I can vouch for, but far to powerful) and a 6 RPM mirror ball motor with no mention of axle dimension (probably an eye or a hook). However, most hobby stores will have a small motor with a range around 2,000..3,000 RPM.

For the gearing, they have what you need...
If you get 2 of ref: CDT0113, 1 of ref: CDT0112 and 3 worms ref: CDT0128, you can make a gearing of 127,832.

How strong the PVC wheels are is hard to tell, without knowing the thickness, but the weight of the cam should be held by ball (thrust) bearings anyway, so I don't think it should be an issue.
You'll have to drill two of the worms to 3mm (one should be kept at 2mm to fit a small motor) to fit 3mm axles.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline diverdanTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:08 AM »
Thanks for your help. I will have a look around and see what i can find.

Get Your Ad Here