go away spammer

Author Topic: Grade 12 Computer Enginneering (Need Consult From Experts) - Admin Please Help  (Read 3443 times)

Offline stanley_fuTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Hi, our grade 12 class is going to make a robot for our ISU summative. This microcontroller and programming stuff is kind of new to us. Last year we were using turing for engineering and java/vb/html/flash for computer science.

***NOT TRYING TO GET YOU GUYS TO DO MY WORK, ONLY CONSULTING AND HELP IF NEEDED***

Lets go into what I need consult in.
My project is to build a MARS ROVER type vehicle. I want to allow a simple avoid object program to be ran just like the demos on the site. Also, what makes this different from others is the semi omni directional thing it will have.
What I want to do is have a 4 wheel module be attached to 4 corners of the chassis and this module will be attached to 4 separate servos which will allow the robot to go horizontally and vertically and even diagonally (Look At Wheelbase Demo And You'll Get It). Now the problem is getting the rotating sensor to work....
My teacher thinks it is too hard but I like challenages and I got tell Jan.

I live around the GTA (Toronto, Canada) will I be able to get parts.

And I also attached some basic drawings.

AND FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS TO OTHER FORUMS IF NEEDED (TO ADMINS/MODS)

My question is .... is the programming going to be hard because I only know those languages (html,bit of php,turing,java,vb,flash,bit of cgi).
I want to use IR instead of Sonar (knowing sonar is even harder).

Second question is .... will this plan work and be done in the time required.

Third question is .... I want to know the avaliable programs and avaliable drawing programs (free, open source)

Need help on chassis.... I am planning to use wood (thin solid wood)

I am using PICmicro microprocessor............. dun know which model yet
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:37:58 PM by stanley_fu »

Offline creedcradle

• Helpful? 0
  • Physics Robotics
Re: Grade 12 Computer Enginneering (Need Consult From Experts)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
My answer for your queries:

1. your knowlegde in VB will help you, if you are using PIC MCU then PICBasic software is available

2. Timeframe? - it depends on your skills, the circuit design and circuit analysis may take 10-15 Hours , chassis design using CAD may take 20-24 hours, circuit fabrication may take 10-18 hours

3. Free CAD software? - im using VariCad2007 and it is not free, admin is using autodesk  inventor 2008 . see this

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=1218.0

remember trials and demo softwares are always available  ;)

4. chassis should be better if you use aluminum 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:38:03 PM by creedcradle »
LEARN TO SHARE and SHARE TO LEARN!

• Helpful? 0
Re: Grade 12 Computer Enginneering (Need Consult From Experts)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »
thankz... theres a problem... if i use alumium, i dont have the nessary tools to fab it though and looking around the site i found out that the admin made a simular robot called the tourus 2 or something :S... I didnt know someone had simular ideaa already

• Helpful? 0
found out today that i am going to use a PICmicro chip exact serial im getting tmw

Offline creedcradle

• Helpful? 0
  • Physics Robotics
then you may start to check PICBasic compiler or if you want you can use PICC software from hitachi. the later is in C language...
LEARN TO SHARE and SHARE TO LEARN!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list