Author Topic: please help me with a mircocontroller  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Stephenrh7Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
please help me with a mircocontroller
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
I am using an arbotix microcontroller on my toshiba SATELLITE C655-S5512 using mint linux operating system with an arduino IDE. When I attempt to upload any anything to my board (Pypose, Bioloid, servo, etc.) I get this error:
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.
I put all my libaries in my sketch folder, I tried messing around with the servo connector still nothing. The led light turns on and the side one flashes when I upload. This is the website for the contorller: http://www.vanadiumlabs.com/arbotix.html
I have also updated my arduino IDE less than a week ago.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: please help me with a mircocontroller
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Often, the Arduino IDE is expecting to be programming for a certain device, but your device is different.  I don't have it open right now, but somewhere in your menu options should be a "Device" tab.  It will have a list of Arduino devices.  You need to choose whichever Arduino device uses the ATMega644P...and at the moment I don't know which one that is. 

What I think is happening is that the Arduino IDE is expecting, say, a ATMega168, and it's getting a 644, and it's saying "Whoa!  I'm programming the wrong chip!"

There are some workarounds if a '644P based device doesn't exist:

1) Ignore the flag, using the -f option.   This is...probably not a good idea, since it will be setting registers and the like and these may not be the same for the 644.

2) Get an ISP programmer.  They're like $30.  You can still program with the Arduino IDE, but you just tell it to program using the ISP instead of USB.  It's easier to tell the ISP what device you're using.

3) Work with AVRStudio.  Unfortunately, this is only a Windows thing, which can be irritating if you're using Linux.  But AVRStudio is about a thousand times better than Arduino IDE if you're not programming an Arduino :-)

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Get Your Ad Here