go away spammer

Author Topic: Wireless Multipoint Communication  (Read 1919 times)

Offline knossosTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Wireless Multipoint Communication
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
  I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on hardware for wireless multipoint communication.  I do not have any specifics yet, as this is still just a preliminary fact-finding to determine feasibility.

I am looking to have a hybrid mesh configuration between several terminals, some mobile, some stationary.  A single terminal will act as a master control.  If a terminal is out of range of the master, an intermediary will relay signals (probably no more than a ttl of 2 to reduce network congestion).  If no master is within range a slave terminal will switch to master mode.  Some stations will have Bluetooth or WiFi (haven't decided which yet), so ideally the solution will not interfere with nor receive interference from WiFi/Bluetooth.  Network size will start at 4 devices but will likely increase to 8, with 16 being the total expected devices including the master.

It appears the Series 2.5 XBees would support this type of network.  Has anyone tried multipoint connections with the XBees or have any other recommendations?  I am open to any suggestions in either network design or hardware.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Wireless Multipoint Communication
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
If you can wait until my expected ship date of April 2011, my latest secret product will work perfectly for you. I'll probably release more info this Christmas.

Sorry, can't give more details . . .

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
my latest secret product will work perfectly for you.

Ah HA! A clue! Going after Xbee huh?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
XBee ZNET2.5 or XBee ZigBee should do what you need.

One issue to be aware of is that two radios (XBee, Bluetooth or WiFi) that share the same radio band can de-sense the others receiver if the two units are too close to each other. I have found that a low power XBee less than about 6 inch from a Bluetooth will cause problems for the Bluetooth and XBee. The separation doesn't need to be large but they can't be very close either.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »
Ah HA! A clue! Going after Xbee huh?
Going after quite a few things . . . lets just say its a technological leap, the 'next step' in robotics ;)

I have found that a low power XBee less than about 6 inch from a Bluetooth will cause problems for the Bluetooth and XBee.
Bluetooth does frequency hopping near 2.4GHz, while XBee (and most wireless stuff today) is fixed at a frequency near 2.4GHz. Bluetooth as such can occasionally create lots of noise that'll 'mess up' the less resilient XBee. If you're clever with your algorithms, it can be avoided.

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Going after quite a few things . . . lets just say its a technological leap, the 'next step' in robotics
A "technological leap" and "the next step in robotics".
WOW can't wait ;D. Plus based on your previous releases I bet this will not disappoint!!!
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline knossosTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
If you can wait until my expected ship date of April 2011, my latest secret product will work perfectly for you. I'll probably release more info this Christmas.

Sorry, can't give more details . . .

This is a personal project so no great need for speed and got a lot of other steps to accomplish before I get to this, trying to just plan in advance.  Can't wait to hear more about your secret squirrel project.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Get Your Ad Here

data_list