Author Topic: Capacitors, Resistors, Transistors: Where to start?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline VegaObscuraTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
Capacitors, Resistors, Transistors: Where to start?
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »
I want to learn about all those tiny little components that are in all things electronic.  I know very little about them.  And I don't want to just know what they do, I want to be able to USE them.  Recently I took an old toy robot that I got for christmas and decided to play around with him.  He was a $15 robot, made for fighting others like him.  Well I lost the controller about a week after I got him.  I put him in the top of a closet hoping I would find the controller and be able to play with him again.  2 years passed and finally I decided I wasn't going to find that controller, so I took him down and took him apart.  He had various PCBs and a couple of IR receivers to pick up the remote control.  I took almost everything out, leaving only the motors, gears, and wheels.  I wired up his battery compartment straight to one of the leads of his motors, the other to his on/off switch, and finally wired his on/off switch to the other motor lead.  I was pretty satisfied, and turning the switch on would make him go straight forward.  Unfortunately, that's about the limit of my knowledge and abilities right now.  I know how to solder.  I know how to connect a battery to a component.  That's about it.  Now I want to learn all about transistors, capacitors, semi-conductors, resistors, microcontrollers, and all those fun little things.  I want to know where to learn those things.  My budget is absolutely nothing, and all parts that I use must be taken from old electronics.  Fortunately I have lots of those, and most of them are broken so I can take all the little parts out I want.  I do not yet own a multimeter.  I want to be able to actually take a part, put it in a circuit, and see it make a difference to the circuit.  I don't need anything useful, just so I can really see what every part does and learn what they're used for.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Capacitors, Resistors, Transistors: Where to start?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
well, take a look at the $50 robot tutorial, it may be $50 but the knowledge is priceless!
http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »
Unfortunately the $50 robot tutorial does not cover most of the general electronics.

Offline robotsRcool

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
some good books if you are in Australia are the Funway series it has 40 projects all together and are available at dicksmith and its how i got started in all this.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list