go away spammer

Author Topic: Question on microcontrollers  (Read 1310 times)

Offline RedGolfTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Question on microcontrollers
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Hi there! I am completely new to robotics, and I have a question. I recently purchased a couple of 28-pin atmel megaAVR microcontrollers, and I was wondering if there was a reference page that shows what each terminal of the controller is used for? (ground, sensors, etc.) I'm a little confused if each pin even has a designated purpose, too. Thank you for your time :)

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
Re: Question on microcontrollers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
Atmel publishes documents called data sheets which explain how the chips work. You don't say which you have, so take a look at this page

Click on the chip you have and it will take you to the product page, from there you can get the data sheet and various other documents.

The functions of each pin are given in the data sheet, usually in a section called "Pin Descriptions".

Joe

Offline lrmall01

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »
Also note that the pin function will need to be set in your software.  You have to tell the micro how you want the pin to behave, if it has multiple options.  The datasheet should help with that as well.

Offline RedGolfTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
Ahah! Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the tip lrmall01

Get Your Ad Here