go away spammer

Author Topic: CMUCam ?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline santiagoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
CMUCam ?
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »
I 'am about to buy a CMUcam2 but first i need to ask ya which one of this is the easiest to connect to a microcontroller like the Basic stamp2, Amtelavr128, and ARM7 2119 & 2106?

and is the best for object avoidance or navigation for of course a microcontroller level?

1)R228-CMUCAM2-OV6620:  http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R228-CMUCAM2-OV6620.html

2)R229-CMUCAM2-OV7620:  http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R229-CMUCAM2-OV7620.html

3)R245-CMUCAM2-PLUS: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R245-CMUCAM2-PLUS.html

I'm leaning of CAM2+ because i think it can connect to a  and a pc (with an adapter) the easiest but i think it doesn't have the buffer that the other two have and it doesn't use the OV7620, it uses the 0V6620.

Thanks for the advice

;)

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
Re: CMUCam ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:33 AM »
Personally, I would look at this one:

http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html

- Jon

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:51:37 AM »
it is a kit without the camera. Do they sell one with the camera?

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:39:18 AM »
Wow, they used to sell it with the camera...

Maybe check their support forum, they might have something about it in there.

- Jon

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:11:13 AM »
What's the exact difference of CMU Cams vs AVR Cams?  I used to know when I was helping kid get his working, but I forget because we specified with the CMU.

Another thing.  What do you intend on using the Cameras for? 

If you knew, you can better specify which camera you need to use.  Choosing one over the other is useless unless you know the application.  I realize you said obstacle avoidance or navigation, but those are pretty different relams.  If you plan on following tape, they have ones that can blob detect at a very high fps, while taking pictures of the environment and learning how to manipulate it into data is different. 

A microcontroller can easily be worked with these cameras.  The CMU cams have their own built in microcontoller, which you can most likely interface with another microcontroller to control the camera and the robot.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:15:47 AM by nanob0t »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »
I basically I want something that will work with roborealm software. I want to learn every feature of the roboreal software. Thus, i wil learn alot by doing this.It will be doing simple navigation like: line following, floor finder/ing,and wall avoiding. I want to master these and then go with the more advance vision stuff like: vision navigation, vision recognition, object recongnition, vision mapping of its surrounding and remembering them by categorizing them by name and then commanding the robot to go one of the catergorize names ect... which i would use a lapto or a mini pc for  that.

O and to me the CMUcam2 and 3 are better than avrcam.

the avrcam can track up to 8 objects and the UMCcam1,2,3 only 1
the avrcam can be program free the UMCcam1,2 can be program but you'll need about $700 to by the software to do it.

However, the cam3 can know be program just as easy as the avr cam

the CMUcams have faster processors and many more stuff than the avrcam.

I am going to buy a UMCcam2+

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
If you are using Roborealm software, then a standard webcam should do since the microcontrollers don't need to be there to do all of the calculations.

I have used roborealm with a camera bought for £10, and it has worked almost flawlessly at colour detection, C.O.G. calculatin, image matching etc.
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »
RoboRealm will not work with a CMUcam or an AVRcam, unless you write a customs video for windows driver for it.

RoboRealm will work, as has been mentioned, with almost any webcam that runs in Windows, as well as frame grabbers for other video sources.

I use RoboRealm with a USB frame grabber that is getting input from a 2.4 GHz wireless CCD camera.

- Jon

Get Your Ad Here

data_list