Author Topic: motor causing current to sag too much  (Read 1790 times)

Offline saintjonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
motor causing current to sag too much
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
Hello,
I am building a robot with the Beaglebone Black.  My voltage regulator produces 7.5 volts on output A and 5.5 volts on output B.  When I plug my Beaglebone into Output B, it boots up and runs nicely.  However, as soon as I hook a motor to Output A and induce current to the motor, the Beaglebone goes dead.  I assume that the current is dropping too low.  Do I just need to add another 7.2v battery pack or is there a more efficient solution for keeping the motor from sapping the power to the Beaglebone? :-\  Thanks for any input.

Offline MrWizard

• Helpful? 0
  • My cylon friend told me a killing joke......
Re: motor causing current to sag too much
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Just test the draw (and calculate) of the motor if it isn't listed. I personally seperate the batts for the controller and the motors. But I always get commented that is not necessary. Often google is your friend on looking up the specs of the motor.

Offline saintjonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
Which would work better, an additional battery or another battery of higher voltage?  In my case, I have a 7.2v battery to power the circuit but I could buy a 12v battery to replace it if it would do better....

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »
It is possible that the problem is not in the battery but the size of the wires and how the battery is wired to the motor driver and the beagle bd.
Can you draw a diagram of how these are wired. The physical layout and connections not a schematic.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
If you use your 7.2V battery, and hook up the motor directly (no BeagleBone, no regulator,) what voltage does the battery show while the motor is running?

It's possible that the motor generates interference/spikes that the regulator, or the BB, doesn't like, rather than the problem being voltage sag. On the other hand, if there's substantial voltage sag when the motor runs, then that's very likely the problem.

Separate batteries for brawns and brains is always a good idea, because that keeps the noise from the motors away from the logic. You typically still need to tie the ground signals together.

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »
How much current does your motor draw?

How much current is your voltage regulator rated for?

Above suggestions (wire size, unregulated voltage to the motor, etc.) are all good.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Get Your Ad Here