Author Topic: Walbot 2.0 almost finished!  (Read 3578 times)

Offline nooboticTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Walbot 2.0 almost finished!
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
Mr. Norris, er I mean Sweeney, I'm in the process of putting together a Walbot 2.0. This is my very first robot. He's not entirely operational yet because he's tethered to a walwort powersupply  :( At least until I get a couple more parts later this week.

My walbot isn't as professional looking as yours. I don't have a decent saw, so I cut my top and bottom layers with a jigsaw. He's not the most handsome robot  :)

I'm really excited and want to get the rest of his pieces mounted up and operational. For a noob like me, this is what I've learned:

• How to tap holes into lexan
  • How to braid wires
  • How to solder a little better
  • How all these little parts REALLY go together!
  • How the sensors work
  • How an  h-bridge works
  • How PWM works
  • Why AVRs and Arduinos ROCK

From all of this, I've learned the very basics of robot building. With a tiny bit of some eletronics theory, there's plenty more I have to learn about the h-bridge shield and understanding PWM. I need to spend a lot more time in the tutorials section and cover more of the theory and math!

Great tutorial! If you have any additional information on sketchup and h-bridges, I'll take it! I've tried the sketchup tutorials and have a concept drawn up for a robot I'd like to build. It's taken me many hours just get the basic elements laid out. A couple ideas that I have involve a telescopic camera and the cool VEX pneumatic kit to build a robot ramp for a "parasite" bot. I'm dreaming here...cuz it'll probably take me a year to figure it all out! Any ideas on how to build (or where to buy) a telescopic type of mechanism tp mount a camera with servo?

By the way, Digi-Key doesn't seem to carry the schottky diodes you have listed. I used a different Digi-Key part and the board appears to work fine. I can post this part # if you want it

When he's 100% complete I'll put up some video!

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Re: Walbot 2.0 almost finished!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »
When he's 100% complete I'll put up some video!
I don't mean to discourage you guys on all the great videos filmed and them being posted here :), but can we bury the starwars theme for now on? :P

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
Nope, you are 3.0. Apparently someone else beat you to 2.0 :P
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/565

And the original for others to see:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/45

Offline nooboticTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
Bane, I promise not to include any Star Wars related themes in the video!  :)

This is a big step for me, but probably pretty boring for all of you! I may need to spend the next 6 months or so just studying all the concepts that apply and how all this stuff really works beyond just the simple fact of mechanically assembling him and popping some code onto a microprocessor

There are so many cool robots and videos here. That big dog DARPA bot is absolutely unbelievable! I'm excited to see what sort of progress will have been made in 20 years. The possibilities....

As for my bot, it might still be a couple weeks before he's completely online. Darn parts take forever to get here!! Parts from the original list had to come from 8 different places. It felt like the holiday season getting a small package everyday  :)

(Admin, sorry for originally posting this in the video section. Thanks for relocating it! :)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list