go away spammer

Author Topic: hi and all that...robo design aide...  (Read 1923 times)

Offline eTagTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • CaliMods
hi and all that...robo design aide...
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
first off this is my first post so i want to say "hi all" and let you all know that i have done some electronics tinkering in the past but that it has also been a few years and much has changed...

second...i have been trying to find out how probable it would be to use a desktop pc's cpu and ram with a solid state hard drive for a...? robot "motherboard"?

i've tried google and wiki's but neither give me anything. they all come up with various things about the hexibot.

also i'm not trying to use an entire pc motherboard...but just the cpu, ram, and a hard drive.

any input would be helpful. and yes i understand that this would be difficult to do and that there are certain energy and size requirements involved...but that is not the information i'm looking for...what i need is to know if it is possible to replace a controller with these items?
car-comp-car-comp-car-comp

calimods.com

I work on cars and I love computers
robots seems like the best convergence of the two.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: hi and all that...robo design aide...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
It can be and has been done. There also have been a few threads in these SoR forums.
Did you search here?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »
Hi,

any input would be helpful. and yes i understand that this would be difficult to do and that there are certain energy and size requirements involved...but that is not the information i'm looking for...what i need is to know if it is possible to replace a controller with these items?
As long as you get all the needed parts and are able to make a multilayer PCB that is designed for microwave technology you could, but do have a look at this if you're serious about it.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
    • CaliMods
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:29:49 AM »
thanks....not looking to make one that small but still got some good info...
i've heard the term multilayer several times now...will someone kindly define this in the terms of motherboards?

calimods.com

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
Hi,

i've heard the term multilayer several times now...will someone kindly define this in the terms of motherboards?
Imagine a stack of PCB's all glued together on top of each other and connected in between the layers and you're pretty close.
The "smallest" version is like a dual sided PCB with a layer in the middle where you can have traces going back and forth in directions that's impossible relative to the top or bottom layer. or it could be a single (or several interconnected) ground plane to isolate the top and bottom from each other (noise wise).

So, instead of a single carrier with copper on each side, you have a sandwich with one or more layers of copper in between.

copper
carrier
copper
carrier
copper
(etc).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
    • CaliMods
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
thanks...thats what i was thinking...but it's always better to ask and learn then assume and make a mistake...

calimods.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list