Author Topic: Troubles with Devantech SRF05 ultrasonic  (Read 2052 times)

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Troubles with Devantech SRF05 ultrasonic
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
Hello, I've been gone for awhile, but just yesterday I went back to work on my robot more, and when i was piecing it back together I noticed that there is something funny about my ultrasonic rangefinder... When it is working, there is a little light that blinks every time it sends a pulse.  I think its something like 10 times a second.  At least.  Anyways, that light is supposed to be blinking really fast, and when I check the serial monitor (I am working with Arduino here, so just the basic Arduino coding program) it tells me the proper distance and everything.  But, every now and then it will just freeze up, and slow to like 1 pulse every second or two, and stop sending the proper signals, and it gives the wrong readings.  Then, I can poke at the rangefinder for a bit, adjust it slightly, then it works again.  I had this problem before, but thats because I had a bad mount, and metal was touching were metal shouldnt, but now (or then) I had remade a new mount for it that worked fine.

Has this ever happened to any of you?  I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue, but i hope there is an easier fix because I don't want to have to buy a new one....

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Troubles with Devantech SRF05 ultrasonic
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
Sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a component was damaged when you had shorted it, or something is loose. It almost sounds like a ghost short.

I'd check your voltages first with a multimeter to make sure everything is the way it should be. Then look over the sonar pcb board for anything that has questionable soldering (ie not enough).

Get Your Ad Here

data_list