Author Topic: DIY Battery pack  (Read 4693 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
DIY Battery pack
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »
I'm thinking about doing my own custom battery pack with some of the supplies here: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=306

The problem is, I'm not sure what physical method to connect the batteries. I'm not talking about series vs. parallel (I know how that works). I mean connecting the batteries together physically. I don't want to solder the wires right on the battery terminals because it'll probably melt the solder with the current draw, and I don't want to use battery holders because the ones I would need have a flimsy 24 AWG, and the current draw is expected to be about 10 amps all together, (4-5 amps for each of the two motors and about an extra amp for electronics. [don't worry I'm using the sabertooth 2x5, which allows the same power supply]).

I see these batteries with what looks like this rubber balloon thing on each of the terminals, and I have no idea what they are or how to use them. What are they?

Thanks.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: DIY Battery pack
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
if you're going to have 10 amp draw. I'm guessing you're going to be using big batteries. lead acid equivilent at least.

and with those batteries there are ways of connecting them.

most big batteries have at least this kind of connector
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
I don't want to solder the wires right on the battery terminals because it'll probably melt the solder with the current draw
Nah you won't have that problem. Just make sure your wires are flush, and be liberal with the solder. There are several posts in the forum about how to solder batteries.

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
I made my own battery pack sucessfuly with old PDA batteries.
Robots are awesome!

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 04:22:45 PM »
id go with sub-c cells and Deans plugs. 7.2v should be good so 6cells, go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com and they will make you one with your own dimensions at no extra charge.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
I'm looking into using these batteries: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=711

Wiring eight to make a 9.6V pack, x3 of those in parallel to make a 9.6V 30AH pack. (I've got money and time on my side so...yeah) I've also seriously considered getting a motorcycle battery, but they're pretty heavy and I want as light as a load as possible for the motors, hence less current draw. I don't know how heavy my finished robot is going to be, (haven't put it all together yet).

But if any of you know of a specific 9V or 8V lead acid battery that's above 26 AH and weighs less than fifteen pounds, I'll consider that one. (I found one just like that before and could've sworn I bookmarked it, but now I've lost the site!)

Okay, I'll do a search for soldering batteries. I'll also look into those connectors too, ed.

What does that mean, when the wires are Flush, Admin?

He did.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
I used two motorcycle batteries on my first robot . . . really heavy and low power . . . I'd stick with NiMH . . .

What does that mean, when the wires are Flush, Admin?
Meaning in direct contact - no air or solder gaps between the wire and battery leads.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
Okay. I hear you need a really hot soldering iron, or they won't stick. About how hot of an iron am I looking at? What are the specific temperature measurements?

He did.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »
hmmm not sure, but I can tell you the single setting irons won't work. I just crank up the temp to as hot as I think the tip can handle. Definitely hotter than when you solder circuit components . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list