Author Topic: Servo control through USB  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ukeshTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Servo control through USB
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »
Is it possible to control the servos through usb through axon?...Like i want to send the data, say a pulse of 1400, to the axon so that it can control the servo, via keyboard which is connected to the USB (UART1 according to axon's default settings)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:08:39 AM by ukesh »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Servo control through USB
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
Yeap.

The RoboRealm mod for the Axon does this. Just install the mod onto the Axon, then send the proper commands (I'm not sure what they are offhand, you'll have to search for it).

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
Yeap.

The RoboRealm mod for the Axon does this. Just install the mod onto the Axon, then send the proper commands (I'm not sure what they are offhand, you'll have to search for it).

The axon is the Atmega 640, right? Can one use the code on a raw 644p chip to control servos? Or is there additional firmware or hardware unique to the axon allowing this?

I'm looking for the easiest method to control a large number of servos with the 644, and if this code will run and work, it'll save me some time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:44:45 AM by Half Shell »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
Yeap.

The axon is the Atmega 640, right? Can one use the code on a raw 644p chip to control servos? Or is there additional firmware or hardware unique to the axon allowing this?

I'm looking for the easiest method to control a large number of servos with the 644, and if this code will run and work, it'll save me some time.
The Axon is the ATmega640. Code compiled for one mcu will not work for another. Email STeven (the creator of RoboRealm) and ask him to recompile the .hex for the 644. I can't promise you he will, as it'll require probably an hour or two of work. And not sure how much more needs to be done for compatibility with RR . . .

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »
Yeap.

The Axon is the ATmega640. Code compiled for one mcu will not work for another. Email STeven (the creator of RoboRealm) and ask him to recompile the .hex for the 644. I can't promise you he will, as it'll require probably an hour or two of work. And not sure how much more needs to be done for compatibility with RR . . .

I'm looking more for a servo controller for my own ends, so it'll probably be easier to go my own route then. I'm well aware that code made for one MCU will not work with others, but I was under the following impressions (maybe I'm wrong about these?)

A) The 640 and 644 are in the same immediate family, having only a difference in memory (and in the case of 644p versus non p, the presence of Atmel's pico power hardware).
B) MCU programming should include a hardware profile header file to make switching it to other hardware far quicker. Case in point - instead of using PORTA (as not all AVRs have PORTA) to control LEDS, to do hardware profile header and #define LEDPORT to be PORTA, making it a one line change to redirect the hardware. etc etc.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:24 PM »
but I was under the following impressions (maybe I'm wrong about these?)

A) The 640 and 644 are in the same immediate family, having only a difference in memory (and in the case of 644p versus non p, the presence of Atmel's pico power hardware).
Not true. The 640 is in the same immediate family with only the 1280 and 2560. :P

B) MCU programming should include a hardware profile header file to make switching it to other hardware far quicker. Case in point - instead of using PORTA (as not all AVRs have PORTA) to control LEDS, to do hardware profile header and #define LEDPORT to be PORTA, making it a one line change to redirect the hardware. etc etc.
Sounds like you want to give WebbotLib a try ;D
(WebbotLib does this)

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
Not true. The 640 is in the same immediate family with only the 1280 and 2560. Tongue

Oops! My bad.

Sounds like you want to give WebbotLib a try Grin
(WebbotLib does this)

I'll give it a look, but I honestly use mostly my libraries I've been developing over time at this point. Is that a library maintained by members here?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
I honestly use mostly my libraries I've been developing over time at this point. Is that a library maintained by members here?
The SoR user Webbot is the author of the library, and borrows heavily from my Axon code and Axon code philosophy. Except he took it to the next level, as I'm not a professional programmer . . . Its well documented, and works on the similar concept as drivers for a PC - you plug in your hardware, and "it just works." I'm making sure it supports most available hardware, writing a lot of the drivers (but fixed up by Webbot).

The Axon II will use WebbotLib. Its already compatible with the original Axon, the Roboduino, and a bunch of other mcus.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/webbotavrclib

Get Your Ad Here

data_list