go away spammer

Author Topic: Evolution Robotics, ER1 Robot, and ERSP Thread.  (Read 83140 times)

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: Evolution Robotics, ER1 Robot, and ERSP Thread.
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
I'm glad I could be of help.

Just a reminder for all people that have developed new stuff with their ER1, please upload to Dropbox so the other members can try it out. If by any chance you don't have an invite to the Dropbox account, let me know and I will add you.

Thanks to all,
Gabriel.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline eddie201011

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the software to run the ER1 as well as the ERSP software. I have an Er1 with gripper arm and all the extras but during move I lost software somehow. ER1 site isn't of any help as no emails are returned to me. HELP please.

Eddie in Louisiania

Offline GregoryL

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
Hello All,

I have been following this forum for quite some time, but this is my first post. I have owned an ER1 since 2004 and I think its a great robot. I am currently running it on a tablet netbook and a custom frame. My question is, in the API, the software does not recognize the 'er1' command. It gives an error message saying something like "Error- *<er1> expected: <move>, <set>, <play>, <speak>, <sense>, <etc. etc.>". In the manual, the first command in the API is the ER1 command which is supposed to allow you to run .rbt behaviors while in API mode. I have no trouble running all of the other commands, but that one has never worked. I have reinstalled the software many time since owning the robot and I am running the most current version of the software (thanks for the download link, btw). Has anyone run into a similar problem or am I just doing something wrong? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:48:36 PM by GregoryL »

Offline Chewy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi GregoryL
I agree with you, the ER1 command is not recognized by the API.  It’s really too bad as it would be useful.  I wonder if earlier versions of the RCM software had this command enabled.
    Cheers

Offline urro

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
Hi GregoryL and Chewy,

Long time since I used ER1 API for the last time (now I use ERSP), but I remember that I was also fooled by the missing er1 command.

I realiced that er1 is not a command but the ER1 Control Center executable, so you can launch it with a behavior as argument. I called if from my Java client with

Runtime.getRuntime().exec("er1 " + bhvName);

Cheers

Offline Chewy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Ron Berkowitz, author of “An Integrated Environment for Simulation and Control of Mobile Robots" (http://mss3.libraries.rutgers.edu/dlr/outputds.php?pid=rutgers-lib:30992&mime=application/pdf&ds=PDF-1) , has discovered an undocumented ER1 API command:

"move x (value) y (value) cm"

where the (value) was the distance you wanted the robot to move in the x and y directions, respectively.
I actually lucked out with this command. I had been having trouble getting the robot to move to any x-y coordinates without making it look choppy and was stuck on this problem for a few weeks. Then a light bulb went off in my head.
I figured the command out after looking at the given commands in the ER1 manual and deducing what the syntax would most likely be.

I gave the new command a try and am happy to report that it works. 
             Chewy
             http://gotabot.weebly.com/

Offline Ikeprof

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Found my old ER1 in the basement and decided since I have a working laptop that has no screen, it may be fun to fire it all up again and see what I can do with it.

I just can't find any of the old software nor find any way to get it via Evolutions website etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
This might help..
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Edit: The ER1_CD.zip is a broken link.. not sure where you can find it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:08:03 PM by Tesla »

Offline jdplace

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
FYI, the link is not dead, I just tried it.

Offline apex123

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »
I have an ER1, very gently used, with all the pieces (gripper arm, sensor pack, expansion pack, manuals).

Is anyone interested in buying it off me?

Offline Griff

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Hey everyone.  I am in need of the software updates for the ER-1, especially the power patch that keeps the bot from complaining about the laptop charger.  Is this in the drop box?  If so I guess I need access or someone to email them to me.  A bunch of 3rd graders depend on it!  ;D

Offline Chewy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
Hi Griff

You can easily stop the ER1 from complaining about the charger by adding a config.txt file.  Here is a post from the old Evolution ER1 forum which explains it:

Re: [charles] Advanced configuration options. [In reply to]  Can't Post 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can customize the configuration of the Robot Control Center by adding a config.txt file in the C:\Program Files\ER1 directory. You have to add the following section in this new file called [hardware] and add your directives underneath. For example, to log all movements that the robot makes, I'd add:

[hardware]
log_move=1

Here are all the configuration options that can be added under the [hardware] directive. There is no limit to the number of directives (you could have all of them if you wanted) Attached is a simple example configuration file.

------------------------------------------------------------
fov=(double): camera field of view in degrees(defaults to 42 degrees).

baud_rate=(integer): The baud rate of the command serial port (Defaults to 250000).

wheel_base=(double): Distance between the wheels in cm (defaults s 38 cm).

stop_when_charging=(0/1): If 1, prevents motion if the robot is charging.

disregard_low_robot_battery=(0/1): If 1, does not prevent motion even though robot is low on battery (defaults to 1).

disregard_charging_laptop=(0/1): If 1, does not prevent motion when the laptop is charging (Defaults to 0).

default_accel=(double): The default acceleration used for robot motion, in cm/sec^2 (defaults to 70 cm/sec^2).

left_motor_board=(0/1): Indicate which motor is connected to the left wheel (Defaults to 1, corresponding to the construction photos in the manual).

right_motor_board=(0/1): Indicate which motor is connected to the right wheel (Defaults to 0, corresponding to the construction photos in the manual).

left_motor_position_factor=(double): The position factor of the left motor. Should always be negative for the motors we're using on ER1. (Defaults to -1711).

right_motor_position_factor=(double): The position factor of the right motor: Should always be positive for the motors we're using on ER1. (Defaults to 1711).

log_move=(0/1): If 1, log all motion commands to the hwlog.txt file. (Defaults to 0).

-----------------------------------------------------------

-Charles

Cheers
         Chewy    http://gotabot.weebly.com/

Offline Griff

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »
Worked like a charm, thank you!.  I took the liberty of adding a web control I found a few years ago to the drop box, hope someone finds it useful.

Shawn

Offline jrfraz05

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering about two things.  Hopefully the second has not be rehashed to much...

I was wondering if anyone knows what the system dynamics of the er-1 are.  Maybe there are some papers or articles about it?

In addition, if anyone has used a recent version of Player with the ER-1, I'd love to know how!  I can't seem to get my robot working with Player.

Offline Jconstable007

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
Hey Guys, not sure who is still around tinkering with the ER-1.  as I have been reading this forum, and trying to locate some of the software i.e. python mapper, for one.  I noticed that there are some people are looking for a "gripper" sub. I have been thinking of an idea and wanted to throw it out there for you guys to think about.  using a DIY servo driver, and a simple software program to open or close the fingers ( with a switch on one of the fingers to stop the servo from crushing item ), attached to the "hobby ports".  I know the GUI allows you to run "external" programs... maybe we can make something to suit our needs.  I have most of the electronics figured out, the mechanical is still on the paper stage, and the software is on the back burner.... figure once I have it built, I can figure out how to drive it.  Any thoughts.  Also anyone got any current links to the latest RCC? as well as the python mapper???

thanks

Offline Jconstable007

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »
Thank you Gabriel for the access, much appreciate it

Just a reminder for all people that have developed new stuff with their ER1, please upload to Dropbox so the other members can try it out. If by any chance you don't have an invite to the Dropbox account, let me know and I will add you.

Thanks to all,
Gabriel.

Offline Snode2

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
Hey all,

My name is Snode2, and I'm working on a project over the summer that uses the ER1 robot, as well as some other modifications that include using other sensors such as motion sensors, light sensors, and others, as well as attaching a different webcam. I'm a high school student enrolled in some AP Computer Science courses, as well as some PLTW Engineering courses. I've been doing quite a bit of research, and I've found that a lot of the ER1 bots that have been built have used Player on Linux. I was wondering if there was a driver for Windows 7 at all, or even XP for that matter. Either one can work for the computer I would like to use with the ER1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
     Snode2

Offline ER1enthusiast

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »
I'm interested in viewing the ER1 Drop Box.
You can PM me or email at [email protected]

Thanks!

Offline bobnatale

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »
I would like to be added to the dropbox too!!  I have an ER1 in the basement that I am going to bring back to life.   Anyone still tinkering with them?

Offline TankBoy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
Not sure how many folks are still working with the ER1, but I have a complete ER1 that I am willing to give away if anyone would like it. It includes the gripper arm, camera, power pack, expansion pack, and an extra sensor pack. I have all of the boxes, and imagine all of the software disks are in there.

I am cleaning out my attic and sending two decades of electronics to recycling. I goofed with the ER1 for a couple of years and then completely forgot about it. It was a lot of fun. When I rediscovered it a quick online search led me here, and before I send it to the scrap heap I thought I should do a quick search and see if anyone was still working with it.

It also has an NEC windows Tablet computer still attached to it - I have not fired it up, but have no reason to believe it would not still work. If you are interested, let me know - again - I am willing to give this all to a good home if anyone could make use of it - not trying to sell.

Offline Kiros

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
Hey there Tankboy. I am interested in your ER1. Send me a message or email me at (change at) kerrydmz at gmail.com.

Offline jlizotte

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
I would also be interested, if Kiros cannot make proper arrangements with you. I'm in Ohio, USA. You can contact me via email: telops "at" gmail.com

Offline jmurray5

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »
Has any one tried to run the er1 on a raspberry pi ?

Offline mcarraher

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
Thank you Gabriel for the access, much appreciate it

Thanks to all,
Gabriel.

Just got a er1 robot and I was wondering if the dropbox is still available, if so could I be added to it. email [email protected]

Offline wdbarnwell

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
Has anyone ran ROS on the ER1? I have ROS installed on Ubuntu Mate and ROS is working fine. I've been to this site https://github.com/arvindpereira/clover_hack_day  and cloned the ROS package into the ~/catkin_ws directory for the ER1 but haven't got it working yet. Just wanted to know if anyone has used ROS and still using the ER1?

Offline shoutout21

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »
Hey all,

My name is Snode2, and I'm working on a project over the summer that uses the ER1 robot, as well as some other modifications that include using other sensors such as motion sensors, light sensors, and others, as well as attaching a different webcam. I'm a high school student enrolled in some AP Computer Science courses, as well as some PLTW Engineering courses and wanted to share what I read, I'm quite intrique with this blog http://www.powerjackmotion.com/make-way-smart-robots/ and somehow asked myself the same question.

Thanks,
     Snode2

Exactly
I was wondering what will happen to people who works in meat shop or even in a factory, if government decided to use machines and robots as the substitute for human workers? Have anyone of you here watched, Spolarium? our planet is manage and under by Robots!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list