Author Topic: Evolution Robotics, ER1 Robot, and ERSP Thread.  (Read 83136 times)

Offline lupinoxp

• Helpful? 1
Re: Evolution Robotics, ER1 Robot, and ERSP Thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »
Great!

Offline lupinoxp

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:43 AM »
Hello, I have finished the computers to be included in my robot, in the coming days I'll put the photos!

Offline SciTech02Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
Cool!  We all look forward to it.

I finished the ER1 Resource page just now; comment what you think and/or what should be changed.  :)

http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline kevinvr

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  i'm a teacher so I mostly only work on this stuff during the holidays:)
There's some great reading here! Thanks to all of you!

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
Evolution just yesterday released the ER1-D for $950 or $450 for just the RCM.
http://www.evolution.com/er1/

Offline lupinoxp

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
Hello, this is what I was sent the attached order form:

The long awaited return of the ER1 robot has arrived.  Evolution Robotics is pleased to offer the ER1-D robotic kit.

Based on customer demand, Evolution Robotics has produced a limited supply of developer edition ER1s (called the ER1-D), which include an upgraded version of the RCM control module (designated as the RCM-D). The hardware is similar to the original ER1 personal robot kits, but have upgraded electronics designed for heavier use.

The ER1-D kits use the same core X-beam modules, but some of the connectors have been modified for manufacturing purposes.  The RCM-D is available for purchase by itself, and can be used to replace damaged original RCM's on existing ER1 kits.

A copy of the ER1 software is included in the new kits as a demo/evaluation tool, however software customer support and the ER1 forums are no longer actively supported.

For all orders please see the attached order form.  Only Purchases Orders/Credit Card orders will be accepted.  Supplies are limited. 

If you have any questions or wish to place an order please contact our office at [email protected].

Thank you,

Evolution Robotics
www.evolution.com   

Offline kevinvr

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
SciTech02,
I have downloaded your python programs and would like to try them out. Which version of python must I use to run them?
If I run into trouble I will scream for help.

Nice news about the new er1-D only trouble is where does one find $950 + postage? He he he!! ;D
I wonder if they sell any other parts.... like IR Sensors....which didn't come with my er1 original package when I bought it. oh well, such is life. :)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
I wrote my python scripts in pre-3.0 python, so you would have to use a version of python that came out before version 3.0 (however, I think they can easilly be converted into post-3.0 python [change print commands, etc.]).  I'll think about converting them into post-3.0 after rewritting the program.

I'm interested to see what you can do with them.  Good luck.  :)
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
  :-\  Evolution says no accessories, just the base robot.  I too want the IR senors.. You can use Sharp's IR senors, but requires extra work to get them working.

Offline Tymtravler

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2009, 06:35:43 AM »
I emailed Kimberly Herzog yesterday for any specs they had on the new ER1 and she said they did not.  I replied that I heard rumors that the RCM-d is setup for DC motors now and not steppers.  She has always been very helpful to me, so I hope to hear from her soon on the motors.  The design changes state that the RCM-d was changed on the connection side, however she stated that it was also changed to keep it from burning out faster.  If the RCM-d was changed and now uses different connectors what will be required to replace the old RCM?

Tymtravler

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »
Anyone know where I can get an ER1 Gripper Arm?

Thanks

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
This link for the ER1 updates is broken:
https://inet.idealab.com/dbd/756A30AB/ER1_Updates.zip

Anyone have another link?

Thanks

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »
Hmm...  I know that the ER1 CD link leads to the latest version of the ER1 software.  By downloading the latest software directly, the "update" is not required.  Perhaps this is why the link does not work; it was found to be unnecessary and it was deleted.  I will remove the dead link and extend the description of the ER1 CD link.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with the gripper could open it up to see what IC is used to drive the USB.  Thinking if I can get the IC name, number.. I could get a schematic and make my own gripper.

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:21:53 AM by Tesla »

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2009, 05:35:06 AM »
I don't have the gripper, but here are my thoughts:

- as any USB device, the gripper returns a seller model number and signature, so the software IDs it as the Gripper and not the IR sensors for example
- if someone ties the usb connection back to the PC through the serial port and opens up a Telnet session can monitor all the communication between the PC and the gripper device and can record the protocol
- after the recording is done, any programable USB chip can be used as an interface for a custom made gripper, using only one motor like the original gripper or a microcontroller and servos.

To see what I'm talking about, take a look at your own RCM communication, the IR sensors and Gripper should work the same, just the ID is different. I think even a custom RCM could be made if the ID could be replicated.

On the other hand, I know there is a guy that reprogrammed the GUI, perhaps he can reveal more info about what IDs the software espects. Or, maybe he can reprogram the software to work with custom grippers and IR sensors...
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Tymtravler

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2009, 08:06:47 AM »
I saw some pics posted by Lupinoxp that the new RDM-d now would handle DC motors, however when I confirmed this with Kim Herzog they did not make the change.

I just got an answer to your question.  Yes, they are still stepper motors.

Thank you,

Kim Herzog
Evolution Robotics
[email protected]

This would have been a great change for the ER1.

Tymtravler

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
I don't have the gripper, but here are my thoughts:

- as any USB device, the gripper returns a seller model number and signature, so the software IDs it as the Gripper and not the IR sensors for example
- if someone ties the usb connection back to the PC through the serial port and opens up a Telnet session can monitor all the communication between the PC and the gripper device and can record the protocol
- after the recording is done, any programable USB chip can be used as an interface for a custom made gripper, using only one motor like the original gripper or a microcontroller and servos.

To see what I'm talking about, take a look at your own RCM communication, the IR sensors and Gripper should work the same, just the ID is different. I think even a custom RCM could be made if the ID could be replicated.

On the other hand, I know there is a guy that reprogrammed the GUI, perhaps he can reveal more info about what IDs the software espects. Or, maybe he can reprogram the software to work with custom grippers and IR sensors...

Thanks for sharing.. I figured there was some kind of ID.. maybe a dip switch or hardwired?  If anyone can get as much info on the components used, that would be great.  Thanks

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
I saw some pics posted by Lupinoxp that the new RDM-d now would handle DC motors, however when I confirmed this with Kim Herzog they did not make the change.

I just got an answer to your question.  Yes, they are still stepper motors.

Thank you,

Kim Herzog
Evolution Robotics
[email protected]

This would have been a great change for the ER1.

Tymtravler

I figured they were still stepper as Kim told me that you could use with your current ER1.  It would have been cool if they added the option to do either way.

Offline Tymtravler

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Yes it would, think about it.  It could be possible to use a stronger, cheaper motor.

Oh well
Maybe they will see the ER1 is not a dead product since so many of us asked them to bring it back from the grave.  I mean have you seen some of the bidding on ones that don't even work on ebay. 

Hey happy building
Tymtravler

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »
If one looks at the command list for the RCM, it will be found that what kind of motors are used is totally up to the hardware. If the software can be hacked like I said in my previous post to replace the ID of the RCM with something else, we could build a similar box that is able to do what ever we want it to do. Like use DC motors with encoders, properly use the Sharp IR sensors, use ultrasonic sensors, servos and so on. We could make it way better than what they did and install it in the same box if you like. The only important piece of the kit I would keep is the video recognition software. All the rest can be replaced. This is my long term goal for building my butler robot this way. I am working on the small version now to finish up the routines in the RCM module.

Here is my idea of a new RCM:
- use an Axon microcontroller for master control, USB interface, servo control, sensors
- use a second microcontroller for driving motors  - with PID control, 2 geared DC motors with encoders, I2C or serial interface, possibly Sabertooth driver for powerfull motors

So, if someone hacks the software to eliminate the original RCM, gripper and IR sensors signatures, we could develop a better suited RCM for our robots.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
This is the gripper I'm thinking of using:
http://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=770081&cat=135

Offline Tymtravler

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 05:35:10 AM »
Great looking gripper, I see it is large enough to hold a beer, this is important ::).
Tymtravler

Offline Tymtravler

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 05:38:55 AM »
I am looking for a copy of the ERSP, I heard it's out there somewhere but I have not been able to find it.  Any help would be great.

Tymtravler
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:49:48 AM by Tymtravler »

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
I would like a copy of v2 ERSP also.

Offline lupinoxp

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »
Hello guys, please contact me via email I send to you!
[email protected]

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »
Hi all,

I found the USB microcontroller used by Evolution Robotics for their IR senors and Gripper.. If I can figure out a wiring schematic, I'll post.. maybe someone that knows controllers better than I can make a wiring schematic.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/P/I/C/1/PIC16C765I_PT.shtml

Jason

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »
Looks like there is some code required... this is a lot more complicated than I thought to reverse engineer.  Oh well, just have to keep an eye on ebay for a gripper.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »
UPDATE: I have successfully recreated my ER1 pathfinding program as a module; so it can now be implemented into scripts with ease.  It basically finds a path and sends back a list, containing the string commands required to reach the goal cell.  My "ER1_API_lib" module can then be used to execute these commands, one by one.  I have attached a .zip folder with both of these modules and a sample map module (HomeMap_1) to this post if anyone is interested.  I particularly hope my "ER1_API_lib" module is found to be useful; it is the simplest and most straightforward way of controlling the ER1, through the RCC API session, that I have used. (The modules are written in python 2.5)  Feel free to modify and tinker with these scripts; they are far from being "complete" and I'm curious how well they work on other ER1 robots.

I am currently trying to implement visual localization/correction into my pathfinding system.  I have objects, that the ER1 recognizes, given their own x-y coordinates on the map.  These will serve as "landmarks" to navigate by.  Using the landmark's known position and the distance between the 'bot and it, I should be able to approximate which cell the ER1 robot is currently in (by recognizing a minimum of 2 landmarks).  It sounds good, but I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.  Any ideas or pointers will be very much appreciated.  :)

SciTech02
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:20:20 PM by SciTech02 »

Offline Tesla

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
Thanks and keep up the great work!

Jason

Get Your Ad Here

data_list