Author Topic: help with robotic arm??????????????????????????????  (Read 2067 times)

Offline chandlerr2scottTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
help with robotic arm??????????????????????????????
« on: October 10, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
 ???
im completly new to this and understand basic robotics but cannot seem to put together a robot because there is so much to choose froom.
i need a robotic arm that bends in 3 places with some sort of light at the tip of it. i would like it to be battery controlled and around 15 in tall. it needs to be remote controlled. help.
what kind of supplies do i need what should i make it out of. what kind of voltage and my budget is 100$
help

Offline ozfiddler

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: help with robotic arm??????????????????????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:28:10 AM »
When you say remote controlled do you mean wireless?

Anyway, this is a robotic arm that we used to hack onto a Spykee robot:

http://simplycomputing.com.au/archives/37

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »
You're looking at 3 different parts to this: the remote control, the physical arm, and the microcontroller that interfaces the two together.

As far as it being under 100 bucks, it all depends on what you already have. If you don't have access to the basic tools then forget about it. If you only need the servos and controller, you can absolutely do it.

Anyways, the remote control can be store bought or homemade, it doesn't matter as long as it works. As far as the arm is concerned, you're going to want three servos, one for each joint. Since all you want to do is wave around a light then strength shouldn't be too much of an issue. Everybody likes AVR for microcontrollers* so that should be easy to find tutorials on.

The big thing to remember is that you want to keep weight to a minimum (normally you also would want to maximize strength but a light on the end isn't very heavy)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:53:50 AM by z.s.tar.gz »
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
Hi,

[...] Everybody likes AVR for microcontrollers [...]
Depending on who you're asking...
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »
Let me append that:

*the vast majority of SoR users which may or may not include Soeren depending on wind direction and solar activity.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here