go away spammer

Author Topic: anybody want to be interviewed on future robotics for my honors english paper?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Hello, I'm looking for someone to answer some questions by e-mail about future robotics for my english paper.  I need someone who has a good understanding of the whole concept of robotics and an education in robotics or equilivant.
It would also be great if someone has a good "robotics in the future" descusion questions to post.

Thanks,

Bane
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:44:52 AM by BANE »

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
just post the question here
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
1.   What is your name? (just make something up if you don’t want to list it, my English teacher won’t know)
2.   What is your highest level of education?
3.   How long have you been a fan of robotics?
4.   Do you have a career in robotics or are evolved in them one way or another in your work field?
5.   Do you have any other information that might make you qualified as a robotic Overlord?
6.   Have you ever read; “Flash & Machines” by Rodney A. Brooks, or any of Isaac Asimov books, or “I, Robot” (the movie), if so do you think (just with your knowledge of robotics, that robots could become more intelligent than humans?
7.   Do you believe that in the (future) work environment, if a robot can to do a job more efficiently than a human, that the human (as a labor force) could be extinct?
8.   Do you think that humans can make robots more intelligent then themselves?
9.   Do you think that advancements in robotic intelligence could be hazardous to humans in the future?
10.   Should robots ever replace jobs that low class people can do just because robots are more efficient?
11.   Is it realistically possible for a robot to override human control without human intentions? (like in the movies)
12.   Is it possible to for a robot to write its own code based on its sensors, logic, and feedback? (learning)
13.   Do you think that is unethical to combine robots and humans? (stupid question because we already do)
14.   Should robots be used only when the work is ether extremely difficult for humans or hazardous?
15.   If you could make any robot, what would its function be and how would it affect our world? (realistically please)
16.   According to the robot you just built in (14) if it could have one thing that is not scientifically possible, what would it be?
17.   What do you think robots will be like in 2020?
18.   What do you think will be the next source of energy for robots?

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
On question four you mean envolved, right?
Robots are awesome!

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Or even involved!  :P
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Or even involved!  :P
Ops :-X, and speaking of english class! :D

Anybody want to answer the questions?

Bane

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
i'm not the best maybe not even close but i will

[email protected]
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
BANE . . . those are good questions . . . however each requires a page+ to be fully answered . . .

You may want to focus your questions into a more specific topic. (unless your paper will be 20+ pages!)

Ill answer just a few quickly:
Have you ever read; “Flash & Machines” by Rodney A. Brooks
Its 'Flesh & Machines' . . . I don't think Brooks knew what he was talking about in that book. I mean, he got a few things right, but all those things can be performed with my $50 Robot . . . I felt his book was more of a long rant :P

As for robots by 2020 . . . most of you will be ~30 years old or more by then . . . I'm only 26 now . . . meaning that everyone on this forum will control the direction that robots in the future take. Robots and their parts will of course be waaaay cheaper. Laser scanners for $100, anyone? 10GHz 20GB microcontrollers for $80 - definitely!

I argue there are two things holding up progress of robots:
cost is astronomical (this always goes down)
lack of documentation (I got this one covered)

I can see a few hundred robot companies that sell specialized robot equipment really cheap. And affordable software that greatly speeds up development. Cheap custom made IC's for everyone, PCB's for under $10, software that writes software for you, etc. A 3D prototyper in every home :P

I've said enough . . . someone else's turn . . .

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
lack of documentation

Yep thats definitely a factor  involved

we should have more incentives on the site for members to write tutorials ( besides the contest) . Maybe like a higher forum rank for every 15 tutorials , maybe a free component for every 20 tutorials, etc.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
. . . I'm only 26 now . . .

psshh i'm older than Admin, i thought he was old and wise. Now I feel old.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
we should have more incentives on the site for members to write tutorials ( besides the contest) . Maybe like a higher forum rank for every 15 tutorials , maybe a free component for every 20 tutorials, etc.
But thats a quality vs quantity problem . . . I got an idea - you lose access to SoR unless you write a high quality tutorial! (just kidding)

If anyone wants to donate money for the next contest, or no longer needed robot parts, perhaps more people would be interested and work harder at it? I'm not rich!

psshh i'm older than Admin, i thought he was old and wise. Now I feel old.
old? wise? ha! pomprocker, stop your slacking! children are ahead of you! hehe :P
(ps - most of the green robot experts are in thier 40's)

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
But thats a quality vs quantity problem . . . I got an idea - you lose access to SoR unless you write a high quality tutorial! (just kidding)

If anyone wants to donate money for the next contest, or no longer needed robot parts, perhaps more people would be interested and work harder at it? I'm not rich!

thats true , the tutorials must be of high quality.......

hmmm

any other  incentives you could think of  for creating good quality tutorials?

www.Narobo.com

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
children are ahead of you!
Like me. Muhahahaha. ;D
Robots are awesome!

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Incentives..

How about Admin offer to be a reference for resumes/jobs in robotics etc...

ohh there should be an area to post jobs in robotics...

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
Incentives..

How about Admin offer to be a reference for resumes/jobs in robotics etc...

ohh there should be an area to post jobs in robotics...

maybe  ... though that would only target a small percentage of forum members

got to be more creative guys!

www.Narobo.com

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
Here are some answers

1.   What is your name? (just make something up if you don’t want to list it, my English teacher won’t know)
Robo Man
2.   What is your highest level of education?
BS
3.   How long have you been a fan of robotics?
Since I was a kid
4.   Do you have a career in robotics or are evolved in them one way or another in your work field?
I work as a Robotic Engineer
5.   Do you have any other information that might make you qualified as a robotic Overlord?
No.
6.   Have you ever read; “Flash & Machines” by Rodney A. Brooks, or any of Isaac Asimov books, or “I, Robot” (the movie), if so do you think (just with your knowledge of robotics, that robots could become more intelligent than humans?
In the strict sense of the word yes they can be more intelligent, but in the practical sense I don't think that they will have the same level of reasoning as we do (at least in the next 100years)
7.   Do you believe that in the (future) work environment, if a robot can to do a job more efficiently than a human, that the human (as a labor force) could be extinct?
No, but it might shrink a lot.
8.   Do you think that humans can make robots more intelligent then themselves?
see #6
9.   Do you think that advancements in robotic intelligence could be hazardous to humans in the future?
Yes. Robotic tanks... need I say more
10.   Should robots ever replace jobs that low class people can do just because robots are more efficient?
No, but it probably will (and already does) happen as people look at economics and not ethics
11.   Is it realistically possible for a robot to override human control without human intentions? (like in the movies)
In the future there might be nano robots that you breath in which can cause selective paralysis of trigger different neurons
12.   Is it possible to for a robot to write its own code based on its sensors, logic, and feedback? (learning)
Currently robots usually don't change their code but they change the key algorithms that make them work
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Get Your Ad Here