Author Topic: EAGLE 5 is here!  (Read 3137 times)

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
EAGLE 5 is here!
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
Just to let you all know, EAGLE 5 has been released.

It's more user friendly, and the overall look of it is a bit easier on the eyes...
There are also some new features added etc.

The only downside I see to it, is that it's not completely backwards compatible, just like office 2003 and 2007:
EAGLE 5 can open older schematics and boards, but once EAGLE 5 saves it, older versions of EAGLE can't open it anymore...

Overall I'm very pleased with it, and I think EAGLE 5 will be the new standard (for us electronics/robotics hobbyist) in no time :)

To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: EAGLE 5 is here!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
Has anyone actually tried v5? I started using it today, and the cut/paste functions no longer work. It also no longer allows grouped moving . . .

Anyone else having this problem?

It also seems to be a bit slower, refuses to allow spaces in names in the schematic, and forces everything to be in caps . . .
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:01:10 PM by Admin »

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
Grouped moving is a little clumsy...
You group the objects, click the move button, right click the group to pull up a combo box, and select "move group". If there is a quicker / easier way, let me know.

I would guess that the cut/copy/paste for groups would work the same way, but Im not sure.

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:17:36 PM »
Yup, just checked... the cut and copy work the same. make a group, click paste, then you can use the paste button or use the right click combo box to paste.

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
Has anyone actually tried v5? I started using it today, and the cut/paste functions no longer work. It also no longer allows grouped moving . . .

Anyone else having this problem?

It also seems to be a bit slower, refuses to allow spaces in names in the schematic, and forces everything to be in caps . . .

I have noticed similar issues as well. cut/paste is actually copy/paste and no spaces in the schematic and everithing in caps(though v4 was also everything in caps i I am not mistaken).
And no group moving either.
Very buggy version.

And I didnt noice any major change in the interface(except by the fact you have to manually inport the standard libraries, which is a down).
I did not notice any speed issues yet.
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »
Version 5.1 was just released. No new features, just bug fixes.

My opinion of 5.0 is that it really isn't worth upgrading to. Its caused me many file linking and library issues, with no big obvious advantages to the upgrade. If you are a beginner to Eagle, just go with the newest version.

I figured out the group commands (moving, etc) . . . it just involves an extra mouse click . . . confused me . . .

I also noticed Eagle 5 tries to access my internet during program startup. Not appropriate! :-X

They really should just make it more user friendly . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list