Author Topic: Trying to build my first Robot  (Read 2165 times)

Offline peekayTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Trying to build my first Robot
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
I have always been interested in Robots but this will be my first venture into building one. I came across this site and WHOA.. what a wealth of information!!! Thanks everyone.

I want to start off by building the $50 Robot but with the plan of going up from there. So I have decided to invest in the following:

1. Axon MCU
2. HDPE (a couple of sheets - need the specs for general purpose robotics use)
3. Set of Wheels including an omnidirectional one (which ones)
4. Set of Servos (with a pair of modified ones, if not too expensive)
5. Anything else I would need for the $50 Robot

Could someone help me with a Parts List (like the one given for the $50 Robot with the preferred vendor) - if it is already there, I could not find it.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: Trying to build my first Robot
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
6. Do some research.

(all these questions are already answered on the forum and right on the main page)

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list.shtml
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:50:48 AM by pomprocker »

Offline peekayTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear enough...

If I start with the Axon MCU, I think I will not need many of the parts listed in the $50 Robot. I wanted a modified parts list with the Axon rather than the atmega8.

Also, since I have no experience with construction materials and no major machine tools except what is typically found at home (hand-held drill, knives, cutters etc.) should I go for a 1/8" HDPE sheet and a thinner (maybe 0.1") aluminum sheet for basic chassis construction?

Will the Parallax Continuous Rotation Servo (#900-00008) serve as an alternative to the HS-311?

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear enough...

If I start with the Axon MCU, I think I will not need many of the parts listed in the $50 Robot. I wanted a modified parts list with the Axon rather than the atmega8.

Also, since I have no experience with construction materials and no major machine tools except what is typically found at home (hand-held drill, knives, cutters etc.) should I go for a 1/8" HDPE sheet and a thinner (maybe 0.1") aluminum sheet for basic chassis construction?

Will the Parallax Continuous Rotation Servo (#900-00008) serve as an alternative to the HS-311?

you will then only need the CdS photoresistors and the other resistors that go with it depending on what kinda math you do by following the sensor tutorial
you will also need a battery.

I recommend getting 1/4" HDPE cause its hard to find 4/40 screws any shorter. and they self tap after you drill out a smaller hole. you can use a handheld coping saw do get good curved cuts on hdpe.

yes the parallax servos will work

Get Your Ad Here