go away spammer

Author Topic: So how do you name your bots?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline JustinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
So how do you name your bots?
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/27172032/1/robot?h=c15c0d - Gallery

I definately realize why I need a multimeter now, I could test those pesky connections I'm uncertain about.  It hasn't been quick, or easy, but I'm half way done with my circuit board now, hopefully I didnt burn anything to death :).

Definately learned a ton in the process, I have no idea how I would have made it this far without a site like this to guide me.  So thanks!

Bitter sweet news is that I go on vacation for a week now, and the robot isn't coming with.  I'll have a fair amount of down time, and I think I'm going to focus on honing my sketch up skills.  That and I want to come up with a name for my little pita.

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
Re: So how do you name your bots?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »
Hi there,

That's admin's design for an augmented MCU for the $50 robot? Looks good! Your soldering appears nice and clean, all the joints are good and shiny.

As for naming… Almost anything goes! Probably best to avoid some kind of pseudo-sci-fi number sequence, as they can be awkward and sound a bit silly ;) Perhaps something humorous or endearing based on what it does, or the structural materials?

For example, my current work in progress is called Weave, as it's shell is a woven wooden bowl found in a Chinese supermarket.

Thanks,
Barnaby
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:44:11 AM by WaterPig Master »

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »
I named my $50 robot NCC 2701-A

avoid some kind if pseudo-sci-fi number sequence, as they can be awkward and sound a bit silly
How dare you ;)
1001101 is a very good name for a robot... hehe
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
I named my robot IMP.  My goal for my robot is to develop skills working with a wide array of sensors and combining their function in a single platform.  In addition, having little experience with Mechanical engineering, this is a test bed for mechanical design. It's name (IMP) is an acronym for Instrumentation and Mechanical Prototype.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
My wife is in charge of naming things at our house, and there's no way to tell how she goes about it. She named one of my robots "Turner" because she said it turns corners nicely.

Joe

Offline JustinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
Hi there,

That's admin's design for an augmented MCU for the $50 robot? Looks good! Your soldering appears nice and clean, all the joints are good and shiny.

Thanks!  I've had to use my solder braid at least 20 times already :).

Perhaps something humorous or endearing based on what it does, or the structural materials?

For example, my current work in progress is called Weave, as it's shell is a woven wooden bowl found in a Chinese supermarket.

I saw your write up, good lookin critter weave is! 

Quote from: joe61
My wife is in charge of naming things at our house, and there's no way to tell how she goes about it. She named one of my robots "Turner" because she said it turns corners nicely.

Classic!  Maybe that's how I'll get my wife involved with this project, so far she just thinks its a good excuse for me to make a huge mess :)

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:57:01 AM »
so far she just thinks its a good excuse for me to make a huge mess

Well then, there you go! How about "Messy", or "Spawn of the Mess" :)

I saw your write up, good lookin critter weave is!

Thanks!

Barnaby

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:06:22 AM »
I was experimenting with code and gave a junk name, the first word that popped into my head, to the file.  The word was Numa (2nd roman king), and then it occurred to me that that's a pretty legit name for my robot.  Considering I will eventually theme it purple, royalty is good :)

That said, Numa is still in the phase where I'm getting various parts of hardware to work, but it will be a quadruped with 4 servos/leg.
I

Get Your Ad Here

data_list